1/350 Tamiya Yamato Operation Ten Ichi Go with Pontos upgrade

First Name
Wouter
Thanks guys.

Time for another update.
The aft AA platform was finished. And I added the sandbags around the AA platforms.
Yamato (57).jpgYamato (56).jpg
After that I couldn't wait to paint the main gun turrets...so I did. First some primer: Mr. Metal Primer for the guns and after that Mr. Surfacer 1500.
Yamato (58).jpg
This was followed by a preshade. At that time the paint came out quite splattery, even after a thorough clean up of the airbrush.
Yamato (59).jpg
Next: several thin layers of Tamiya Kure Grey.
Yamato (60).jpg
Some highlighting was done after that, just to create some more interest. I couldn't go all the way as I do with my armor though. The reason for this is that weathering will be a lot subtler on this ship because Yamato was kept spick and span by the crews so a very dirty battleship would look strange.
Yamato (61).jpg
The blast bags received some Vallejo Deck Tan, highlighted with Silvergrey. The sandbags were coated in Iraqi Sand. All of this was done with my trusty Winsor & Newton Series 7 brushes.
Yamato (62).jpg
Weathering was done in the Marijn Van Gils style. I wet the surface first with turpentine and add small dots of oil and enamel paints were blended in with a stabbing motion of the brush in stead of the usual dragging down. When dry the effect is very subtle and even hard to capture on camera.
Yamato (63).jpg
Yamato (64).jpg
Yamato (65).jpg
And that's where she stands since a year or two :flushed: . Next step will be painting in the shadows. Not the usual pinwash way but the Marijn Van Gils way were you paint the shadows in stead.

Hopefully it will be continued swiftly ^^

There's btw a very interesting animation video on Youtube on how Yamato's main guns worked and were loaded. The narration is in Japanese but the images explain a lot.

Cheers

Last edited:

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Very nice progress, really like the subtle weathering you added, will be an epic model for sure :thumb2:
Steven

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Wouter
Research done well to sort out the struts issue. PE work is stunning and very neatly done. Paint job on the turret is superb - love that oil work weathering. Look forward to the next update.
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Wouter.
Sorry for not commenting sooner, its great to see this back. The PE work is phenomenal. :thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
one word BRILLIANT an I liked the utube on the guns very instresting
chris

First Name
Wouter
Thanks guys.

Hi Chris: not yet mate. I'm in the middle of of house move/house renovation and only when the works and moving are finished I'll be back to the bench. Definitely not before the End of April :D And all depends wether Ikea's reopen or not...need to construct a new bench :flushed: . Quite a pitty because these Covid times would have been good modelling moments...

Cheers

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Thanks guys.

Hi Chris: not yet mate. I'm in the middle of of house move/house renovation and only when the works and moving are finished I'll be back to the bench. Definitely not before the End of April :D And all depends wether Ikea's reopen or not...need to construct a new bench :flushed: . Quite a pitty because these Covid times would have been good modelling moments...

Cheers
HI Wouter ok an lookin forward to when you restart this great build as I enjoyed the guns vid very intresting even if I could not understand it but I could get the gist of it by the pictures anyway good luck with the move
chris stay safe

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi Wouter

Apologies but I completely missed this. Your work is absolutely stunning. I have no idea how you put those AA guns together.

Looking forward to seeing this Briggs the finish line.

Stay safe.

ATB

Andrew