1/350 Trumpeter Type 23 frigate HMS Sutherland

A

Andy Claesens

Good evening lads,

First point, I'm not a ship builder, armour & aircraft have kept me at the bench for decades. Many years ago at the very beginning of my modelling career I built the old Airfix HMS Belfast, HMS Ajax and HMS Fearless and then a couple of years ago a really small scale HMS Sheffield and a US missile destroyer but they have been my only forays into the maritime segment of our hobby. Recently however, because over seventy of my models are displayed at work, I was asked to do a commission build as a leaving present for a colleague who has just been posted onto HMS Sutherland. Research pointed me to Trumpeter's Type 23 range and I foolishly agreed to take it on. Chuck in some etched railings and I thought how difficult could it be? Three weeks from opening the box to closing the display case I got her done. Much swearing and late nights over the etch but 80 hours of work produced what you are about to see. Funnily enough, the bit I enjoyed the most was the tiny Merlin. Hope you like it.
P1390718.JPG

P1390720.JPG
P1390722.JPGP1390718.JPGP1390719.JPG

P1390727.JPG
P1390729.JPG

Andy

Attachments

• P1390727.JPG
    P1390727.JPG
    48.5 KB · Views: 5

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Andy
Nice to see you posting again. I hope all is well. A wonderful build with the floaty stuff and a lovely intro:thumb2:. I used to deliver to the Sutherland a few times in Devonport dockyard in Plymouth.
Steve

A

Andy Claesens

Thanks Steve,
As a creature of habit I'm going to have to get used to this picture posting lark all over again. My first attempt included two of every picture.

I'm hoping to get back up to speed this year. So much plastic, so little time....
Andy

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Super build Andy. Three weeks is impressive, I build at a snail pace

A

Andy Claesens

So do I Joe, Nothing like a bit of pressure to motivate you though. Done for a colleague who was leaving so timelines were tight.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
That's a beauty, Andy! Just as a visual - the Merlin looks too big to fit in the hangar - too tall? It almost looks like a slightly different scale?:thinking:
Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Very nice indeed. I am sure your colleague was very pleased.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Hi Mr C,

Good to see you been busy.

I couldnt tell thevdifference between a frigate and a fish cake but looks great to me:smiling4:
Si

A

Andy Claesens

Dave, Jim and Si,

Thanks very much for your kind comments chaps.
It is deceptive to be honest Dave. It JUST squeezes in normanlly but I decided to add some visual interest and cut the hangar door, mounting it as though it is being raised/lowered.
He was over the moon fortunately and a number of the team were very vocal in their praise for it.
Si, a man after my own heart. Iam appalling at Ship recognition and could probably only distinguish a submarine from an aircraft carrier.
Andy

A

Armorguy

Really a nice looking floater Andy ! Is it possible I can still see the bling of pe parts here and there ?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Excellent model Andy.
...and a cracking base too.
Your colleague must have been dead chuffed with the ship - I know I would be!

A

Andy Claesens

Hi Guy and thank you.
Quite possibly to be honest. I have to say that the final stages of doing the brass caused me some considerable eye-crossing. New glasses will be called for if I tackle any more of these.

Greetings Ron, Thanks very much. I have to say that you provide a good deal of maritime motivation and seeing what you achieve has got me tempted to try more. The base is covered with a navigational chart off the coast of Libya and is just purely the base of one of Trumpeter's Display Cases. I didn't take photos with the cover on because of the glare.

Steve Brodie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
great build, surprised to see a Merlin on the back, as no where to park her in bad weather lol