1/350 U-Boot Typ VII C

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Wouter
Amazing painting on those tiny figures. You have really done well. Base looking good. The dio will be stunning.
Jim

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Blimey...
Seeing the toothpick against the U-boat like that, my eyes nearly fell out!
Can’t wait to see that base with the boat in it.....:thumb2:

On a different note, I saw this in the supermarket and remembered it was one of your favourites and had to try a couple of bottles!
EEBE1003-D039-4FF2-8123-C641B50AAD08.jpeg

Lunchtime beer it isn’t.....I didn’t see it was so strong and had to have a nap on the couch :sleeping::smiling5:

D

Deleted member 3568

Omg you must be a masochistic (I think that's the right one) or is it sadist either way that is some incredible painting you must have nerves of steel to paint things so small, us mere mortals cant even see.

First Name
Wouter
HI Wouter have you made a start on the big Y ?
CHRIS
oh yeah, I started the big Y like a year or three ago :smiling:. Haven't done much modelling last half year though. We bought a new house and there quite some work to be done. The positive is: I will have a proper mancave, like 15 square metres big :cool:. We move house somewhere in May so hopefully I'll be able to start her up again, because it's itching for months now ^^

Lol, Thanks Ken. Wait untill you see how many small figures I'll need to paint for my Yamato :dizzy::tongue-out3:

Cheers

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Hi Wouter.

Glad to see you are still among us. I will have a chat on the Yamato build

Steve

First Name
Wouter
Time to pop out the second shelf queen ^^

Last year I started the seascape, and apparantly I forgot to take a photo from the next step. Which was glueing watercolor paper on top. Before I could glue on the paper I had to soak it in water for about 15 minutes to make it more pliable (I used Canson Aquarel Arches 300g paper). When removing the paper out of the water I shaked most of it off before pushing it onto the seascape. It was glued in place with white glue and ca glue in places. When this had dried I brushed on Humbrol Gloss coat to harden the paper.
And that was how it sat for over a year.

As basecoat I gave it two layers of Vallejo Dark Green SS since I wanted to give the seascape that rough Atlantic greenish tint.
U-Boot Typ VII C (30).jpg
After that a lot of very thin layers of green and blue paints where brushed on. Sometimes I blended the paints wet on wet. To do this I first brushed on some water in a smale area before adding the paints. Blending was done by stabbing a brush along the edges. It's hard to explain really. I must say I wasn't too happy in the beginning, but by slowly building up you are obtaining a very diverse color palette. Colors used were: (all Vallejo) German Camo Dark Green, Olive Green, Military Green, Reflective Green, Dark Black Green , Black Grey, Black and Blue Green. I wasn't 100% ready when that was done (no photo of that) but the magic happens when you add gloss.
I gave the seascape two coats of Humbrol Gloss Coat (very easy to brush on really!). With the gloss coats applied it comes alive. (I glued the submarine in place before I applied the gloss coat but after I did all the paintwork)
U-Boot Typ VII C (32).jpg
U-Boot Typ VII C (31).jpg
The gap between the U-Boot was filled with AK Interactive Water Gel Transparent. You need several coats because it shrinks. In between I added thin coats of Blue Green and Olive Green on the edges of the seascape and hull.

After that it was time to make some more waves. AK Interactive Water Gel Transparent was used, you brush it on and with a flatbrush I made wave patterns. When dry it become completely transparent.
U-Boot Typ VII C (33).jpg
Next: wave patterns around the sub. This is all completely new to me so it's quite the experiment. Around the submarine I glued a thin layer of Transparent Water Gel and then I added very thin pieces of cotton which I pulled out of cotton balls (you can buy them in bulk at farmacies and such, very cheap and will last you a lifetime) and then with a flat brush and some more Transparent Water Gel the cotton was pushed alongside the hull, trying to recreate the wakes and bow splash. When dry this becomes hard but it still looks like cotton, so we aren't there just yet. But this is how she stands (I took no photos during the stage because I was really 'in the zone' while doing this ^^)
U-Boot Typ VII C (34).jpg
U-Boot Typ VII C (35).jpg
Hope we don't need to wait for another year to continue this :tongue-out3:

Cheers

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Wouter good to see you posting again. Nice little SBS on the sea scape. I agree don't leave it so long next time.

Reactions: JR

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Very nice effect Wouter, looks great! :thumb2:
Can't wait for next year! :smiling5:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Wouter, this is my yearly drop in and quite a lot done with seascape and all. I must say it's very nicely done both the sub, figures and the waves. I have to oneday do these mid-Atlantic sea dios now that I have seen it done.

Cheers,
Richard

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Great to see some of your work again Wouter and what a lovely dio it has become :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Wouter
Never seen a seascape done like that but it's very effective indeed. Colouring is spot on - not easy to get right.
Jim

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Words fail me Wouter. Absolutely staggering art work. One of your best mate

First Name
Wouter
Guys, many thanks for the great comments, sure keeps me motivated. And I have some news for you: you won't have to wait to next year for next update...because here it is :smiling2: .

I've been playing with oil paints to change the seascape and enhance it a bit. Hard not to go overboard with the effects, but one of the perks of oils is that you have some time to adjust things. I know Werner de Keersmaecker and Marijn Van Gils use acrylics to do these effects but I'm just not that brave :D
U-Boot Typ VII C (36).jpg
One of the key elements is not to use plain whites to do the wake effects. I used mainly Abteilung Faded white which is more grey in tone. I also added a bit Blue Green here and there. Almost there, but not quite. And the most dreaded thing of all needs to come as well: the rigging :smiling5:

Cheers