1/35th Tamiya Kubelwagen , kit no 213 plus 220 plus Aber and Eduard PE

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
I started doing this to see if I could get the mojo back, so partly constructed, basic Vallejo Dunkelgrau primer done, and then checking things while putting it all together.
That's when I realised I should have spent a bit more time before starting and checked a few things.

1. I have Aber and Eduard PE, some of which I will use, some I won't.
2. The original idea was early war, preferably France or West Russia, so before they started the camouflage stage.
That's where it started to go wrong.
3. Won't now be in the Tauchpanzer diorama.

Using info @ http:tongue-out3:/vw82.free.fr/index.php/typ82-chrono/

Tamiya has modeled a Kubelwagen with strengthening bars between the front and also the rear tow hooks - that came in in January '43.
Any made after February '43 had the wing mirrors etc altered, so, I have a vehicle made approx January '43, so I cannot place it earlier in the war.

kubel-2.jpg

A = front strengthening bar, B = incorrect door handles, C = rear strengthening bar.

From there I also found out ( no real surprise ) that Eduard had supplied the wrong shape of door handles for ''any'' Kubelwagen.
kubel-3-a.png

So, I am now at the following stage of construction, replacing the handles I used from Eduard with the ones from Aber.

kubel-1-a.jpg

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Some pics showing some of the PE I decided to use,
Much is too fiddly even at 1/35th for me to handle these days.

kubel-4.jpg map pocket on the rear right door, spade head retaining strap on front left body side.

kubel-6.jpg engine bay, much of the pe intended for here would never be seen and was no better than the molded parts of the kit.
kubel-5.jpg the shovel handle retaining clip on front left wheel arch.

kubel-7.jpg variations of the PE fuel container holders, yet to decide which ones to use. Need to get some solder as superglue just isn't managing to hold the corners with so little contact point where the two parts meet.

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
Updated:

kubel-11.png Front wheels and headlamps attached
kubel-12.pngfuel cap attached
kubel-10.png rear storage panel behind passenger seat set to open position and the folding mechanism for the canopy attached to the body
kubel-13.png
kubel-14.png

Will attach a few more pieces, then touch up the damaged/unpainted areas.

Still deciding whether to have back left wheel being worked on, or just rear engine door left open for troops to get access to the toolkit.

Last edited:

Gary MacKenzie

SMF Supporter
First Name
Gary
kubel-22.png Canvas top, and RHS rear fuel canister holder in place now. Fuel can ( water probably ) needs paint completed, just sitting in holder for photo

kubel-21.png windshield fixed in the lowered position, mirror/indicator arms attached, along with wiper motor holders and the spare wheel just sitting in place.
kubel-20.png