1/450 Revell Spanish Galleon

C

Cameronian

Next on the workbench will be this one, slowly accidentally assembling 'ships through the ages' :smiling:

9Dn6M2n.jpg

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
I just was just thinking of all that rigging George ! will watch this with interest .
John.

C

Cameronian

Me too mate. Because it carries both square and lateen rigs, she's going to be a bit of a devil. Thankfully I stumbled across an illustration of one with simplified rigging, but that's a long way off yet.

Cheers
George

Reactions: JR

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
George,
Have the coffee on, biscuits at the ready, the gang will be along to watch this rigging :surprised::surprised:
John.

C

Cameronian

Having to assemble the shrouds and ratlines could have it ending up like an explosion in a knitwear factory.

As the sails and yards are moulded as one, they will need to be fitted before the standing rigging can be done. So looks like; do the paint, stick on yards and sails, make up a rigging plan and attempt to follow it.

C

Cameronian

Gets more interesting; had to break the masts off to drill holes in the fighting tops to get somehere to anchor the upper and lower shrouds. Maybe what I should do is Plan B; get another kit, make all the alterations, fully assemble and paint it, then rig it. Could be easier.

Bloody-minded enough to see this one through to the end, there's always Plan B :rolling:

C

Cameronian

It's string time! Now to get on making up a rigging plan.

L6jXujJ.jpg

lILislv.jpg

Masts are very flimsy now that the weight of the sails is on them, hopefully the standing rigging will help here but it's going to take a delicate touch.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice job George.
If it helps, when I rigged my Charles W. Morgan whaler, I temporarily glued a piece of rigging thread from the bow to the mast tops and down to the stern. This at least kept the masts vertical whilst I rigged the thing!
Good luck... :thumb2:

Ron

C

Cameronian

Thanks for that, I will give that a go. I've got a Morgan in the stash, the rigging looks formidable.

C

Cameronian

Major disaster, leaving a rigging line under tension overnight managed to distort the masts. They are just too flimsy for the job. I'll try replacing the masts with metal or heavier styrene rod. See what happens

afgDUXy.jpg

• Sad

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
George, feel for you mate.
After all that work as well, hope you keep this going as it's been a great build
John

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
What bad luck George.
As John Writes. "Hope you keep this going"

Ron

C

Cameronian

Still here. The masts were replaced with florists' wire and they now go through the deck into the keel, very solid and rigid. With the standing rigging finished I've made a start on the running rigging. As the saying goes 'ne'er deid a winter yet'

tDeVxcR.jpg