1/48 airfix spit

A

Airfix Modeller Freak

Nice job mate. It looks great. However, the exhausts look a bit monotone. Pigments and the the Gunze Mr metal Buffaloes can give a greater variation and depth to exhausts. I normally use the Mr Metal paint first, buff it up, then brush some rust/Grey pigment to it to give it a more used look. Is this the new tool?

John

First Name
Aaron
I could never critique an aircraft, I DO however know an appealing model when I see one. The subtle edged camo is first class.

O

omi1966

thanks for the responses guys, yes looking at the exhausts im with you on that john, should be an easy fix, thanks.

no i believe this is the old tool as it didn't say any different on the box.

martin

S

Stevekir

A nice clean paint job. The pics have a strong green cast. Have you got Photoshop LElements or Photoshop itself? They have an adjustment called "Auto Colour Balance" or something like that. One click and the green cast has gone (I've just tried it).

B

Braille- dave

Nice model, but the panel lines are a bit prominent for my taste, and it's a bit clean, never seen a Spitfire without at least one oil streak.

The other thing is the gunholes- you wouldn't see them until the guns had been fired! The red patches around the gunholes were actually fabric patches that were doped over the holes to prevent the guns freezing at higher altitudes (The dope was a sort of brick-red colour- used originally for fabric covered aircraft). These patches were always put on as soon as the gun barrels were pulled through.

But these are small points and shouldn't detract from a nice job

S

Stevekir

\ said:
The other thing is the gunholes- you wouldn't see them until the guns had been fired! The red patches around the gunholes were actually fabric patches that were doped over the holes to prevent the guns freezing at higher altitudes (The dope was a sort of brick-red colour- used originally for fabric covered aircraft). These patches were always put on as soon as the gun barrels were pulled through.
Interesting. I read somewhere that the red patches were put on after the armorers had re-loaded the guns, so showing ground staff that the guns were loaded (and therefore dangerous-don't fiddle with the trigger!). Also, if the guns had been fired during a mission the torn holes in the patches told the armorers to re-load.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
\ said:
\ said:
I read somewhere that the red patches were put on after the armorers had re-loaded the guns, so showing ground staff that the guns were loaded (and therefore dangerous-don't fiddle with the trigger!). Also, if the guns had been fired during a mission the torn holes in the patches told the armorers to re-load.
Both correct on all counts.

O

omi1966

Great replies fellas, I know what the patches were for on the guns and probably should'nt of used the decals supplied. I'll paint them on next time, or use foil to make it look ragged.

when I did the panel line wash I used my normal method, slap it on and wipe it off, on the underside I re-scribed through the paint exposing the dark primer through the paint both have they're positives but with airfix panel lines being way to deep it, the wash is way out of scale, those panel lines would be trenches.

DAVE: Oil streaking, I really wanted to create the clean look on this bird as I have a hard time knowing when to stop with the weathering process, but a few restrained dirt streaks and oil runs may give it more interest.

Thanks for your time lads.

This is how to learn and improve, constructive criticism.

Martin