1:48 Airfix Spitfire Mk Vb - Douglas Bader

B

Boldman

So the first kit i try for several decades was of course a Spitfire. I chose the Help For Heroes one that comes with paint etc.

My lack of experience shows on this one and I made some HUGE mistakes such as using Humbrol spray varnish on enamel paint which of course reacted and bubbled up so had to be stripped and repainted.

View attachment 26387View attachment 26388View attachment 26386

The base is a simple piece of card painted green with some filler shaped to look like wheel ruts.

I made a much better base for the Tamiya Spitfire :smiling3:

View attachment 32351

View attachment 32352

View attachment 32353

DSCF3524.JPG

DSCF3526.JPG

DSCF3530.JPG

Last edited:
First Name
Dave
Cant open your attachments.Looks like you have the same problem as me when i try to add photos to a post.Usually it takes 3 attempts then it works.I have to copy my text so i dont have to retype it each time.Then i have to load the photos on again.Dont know what the problem is as i carry out exactly the same actions each time.Most infuriating to say the least.I dont understand why the humbrol spray reacted with the enamel paint.I used the sprays for a few years before i got an airbrush and had no problems.I just made sure the paints had at least had 24 hours to dry before using the spray can on it.

First Name
Dave
Ive got that kit and have just realised the paints supplied with it are acrylic.If you used these that would explain why they reacted with the enamel spray.Youve probably realised this by now though.

T

travellingman49

I have that kit as well and used acrylic varnish which also reacted with the acrylic paint and had to be stripped and repainted.

First Name
Dave
Thanks Travellingman.I will chuck the Airfix paints in the bin.Not worth risking a ruined model.

B

Boldman

I've re-uploaded the images and they seem to be working now (fingers crossed!)