1/48 Airfix Spitfire Mk.Vb trop.

First Name
Jason
Morning All...First build of 2016 complete.

Airfix newish Vb kit. Aftermarket decals from a company called AML.

Primed with Alclad black and airbrushed with Tamiya acrylic.

I wanted to get out of my comfort zone and try a different approach to the usual pre-shading. The technique I've used here is called black basing. You may well have heard of it. It has its share of champions and of critics. I don't think it's possible to properly form your opinion unless you've tried it first hand, so I did....

For what its worth, It takes maybe a little longer than pre-shading but I found the process really enjoyable. It got me really looking at my references and trying to replicate what I saw. I got a bit carried away in places but I think the process has given a more convincing patina to the finished paint job. I'm a fan and I shall use this technique again.

Additional layers of weathering were built up using a filter, panel line wash, oils and pigments.

Built to represent ER570, flown by Maj Robert Levine 4th F.S., 52nd F.G., La Sebala, Tunisia, June 1943.

DSC_0087.jpg

DSC_0088.jpg

DSC_0089.jpg

DSC_0090.jpg

DSC_0091.jpg

DSC_0092.jpg

DSC_0093.jpg

DSC_0094.jpg

As always, comments and critiques welcome. Thanks for taking a look.

Jason

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
I think the black basing has worked well Jason, gives a deeper tone to the top coats. Nice work indeed.

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Totally awesome looking kit. You have really taken it to another level. The colours look very smooth, more natural desert colours ( I found that hard to acheive on my version. I do like the exhaust staining and subtly over the decals looks very realistic, weathering looks sublime.

Great build

Regards

Robert

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Nice Jason, very nice. Couple of questions mate, what is the process of black basing and what is the desired effect? What are you looking to achieve with it? The paintwork and weathering are quality by the way.

Also, I had a mkV trop spit in mind as I have the same decal markings as this in the stash and they look pukka, the airfix new tool seemed like a decent option so how did the build go?

Cheers

Phil

First Name
Jason
\ said:
Nice Jason, very nice. Couple of questions mate, what is the process of black basing and what is the desired effect? What are you looking to achieve with it? The paintwork and weathering are quality by the way.
Also, I had a mkV trop spit in mind as I have the same decal markings as this in the stash and they look pukka, the airfix new tool seemed like a decent option so how did the build go?

Cheers

Phil
Cheers Phil,

For starts, the kit is a cracker. Make sure it is the new tool you get (AO5125). Couple of very minor issues I came across both times I've built this kit. First are these two strengthening strakes on each wing. These were a modification so not always present. So if it's accuracy you're after, check your references and remove them if necessary.

image.jpeg

The second is the fitting of part D33

image.jpeg

This is the fuel tank with the frame for the armoured windshield. Both times I have needed to trim the top of the instrument panel to get D33 to sit flush with the fuselage. Dry fit, trim, dry fit and repeat, before you commit to glue... Both very minor points in an otherwise thoroughly delightful kit.

The principle behind black basing is similar to pre shading, in as much as it introduces tonal variation into the paint finish. Pre shading is very regimented, it can be done very well with some very pleasing results, but... The more you look at pictures of real aircraft you notice that in real life this tonal variation is much more varied.

Matt McDougall takes you through the whole process in this video.

Hope that helps mate.

Jason

image.jpeg

PhilJ

SMF Supporter
First Name
Phil
Hi Jason

Thanks for the reply, very informative mate cheers.

Phil

D

dubster72

That really is a lovely Spitfire Jason! The paintwork is excellent, smooth & rich. Top job mate :smiling3:

S

Stevekir

Jason: Super result on the Spit. The black base video is very interesting. Well worth trying.However, is it only suitable for a camo scheme involving black? I sensed that the author was partly using the black base as a better way to emphasize panel lines (which it seemed to do). Perhaps, for a camo scheme not involving black, all the black base could be over-painted in the two camo colours, (using his mottling effect with suitable colours on both colours) so obscuring all the black (except in the panel lines) and getting the mottling on both the camo colours. Yes?

J

john dutfield

That's lovely. Paint makes so much difference. Well done on a superb job.

First Name
Jason
\ said:
Jason: Super result on the Spit. The black base video is very interesting. Well worth trying.However, is it only suitable for a camo scheme involving black? I sensed that the author was partly using the black base as a better way to emphasize panel lines (which it seemed to do). Perhaps, for a camo scheme not involving black, all the black base could be over-painted in the two camo colours, (using his mottling effect with suitable colours on both colours) so obscuring all the black (except in the panel lines) and getting the mottling on both the camo colours. Yes?
Thanks for the comments Steve, I'll try and answer some of your questions. Matt (the author) said he hadn't yet used this technique on a desert camo. I thought I'd try it anyway. I'll hopefully explain how I interpreted the process with some in progress shots:

First marble coat of each colour after the black primer. Random mottling all over with a little bit of block colour On some access panels.

image.jpeg

Second I've added lighter and darker shades of the base colour. Targeting areas of wear and shadow that I could see in reference photos. This step covers most of the black.

image.jpeg

Finally the blend coat to harmonise the whole thing. You actually don't see much black after this step.

image.jpeg

The key for me is, whilst pre shading specifically targets panel lines; many aircraft do not, in reality weather that way. There is a patina on the airframe that builds up over time with stains, leaks, touch ups, crew footprints, age, extreme conditions and such. This is what I think this technique can more accurately depict, it isn't designed to target the panel lines unless that is how your subject aircraft weathers in reality.

I think that this method adds another dimension to the overall finish of the model and gives real a real depth and patina to the finish that I haven't managed to achieve before. Also, I used noticeably less paint to cover the black primer than I have used to cover grey in the past.

I'd like to add that this IS my first attempt and could probably be finessed quite a bit. It also requires the addition of panel wash and other weathering techniques to get to the finished article.

Give it a try and let me know what you think ;)

Edit* don't know why my pictures are sideways....

Last edited by a moderator:
First Name
Jason
\ said:
Has to be the best Tropical Sitfire I have seen to date. Great paint job.
That is high praise indeed Graham. Thank you! Now how do I get my head out the door...

Thanks for the great comments and questions chaps.

D

Doug Hughes

The paintwork looks great, Jason, and thanks for posting the video - it's produced great results and I must try it one day.

D

dougie

have seen this technique used before and it is a lot better than doing panel lines I think, I'm not an expert by any means but nearly every plane build I see looks like a photoshop contrast boost gone wrong! Glad to see this has not been painted like that and the finished article is all the better for it!