1/48 Eduard Yak-3

A

Apokalipse

Just recently finished this one. I've learned a lot from my other 1/48 scale aeroplane kit.

This time I've done a much better job hiding the seam on the wings (and most other seams between plastic pieces) and I've made the plane look a lot more grimy using pigments.

The kit itself is excellent and It's nearly OOB. The only parts where I've deviated from the instructions and kit-provided pieces are the pitot tube, which I've made out of an aluminium tube and the red stars. The stars are almost always provided as a red star on a white background with a red border.

I've decided to cut out only the red star and paint a silver background instead, based on this picture.

photo_yak-3_04-1.jpg

There's clearly no thin red border and I believe the background is silver, because it appears darker on this picture than the white '15'.

The biggest error I made while building is when I drilled a hole for the pitot tube, the seam between the upper and lower piece of the wing cracked and is now quite visible. I'll make sure to be more careful next time I do something like that.

25657835281_f7171df4db_c.jpg

25631922702_649e3d12e0_c.jpg

25752905505_812eb3c6e6_c.jpg

25726843676_e3e649be74_c.jpg

My camera doesn't handle close ups very well, but at least it's a peek at the many PE parts in the cockpit. :P

Last edited:

monica

“When there's no more room in hell, the dead will
SMF Supporter
First Name
monica
very well done,do like the shades your used,with suitable weathering well done, ;)

T

treyzx10r

Really sharp looking build,nice job masking the canopy . Paint and weathering looks awesome,very nicely done Sir!

A

Apokalipse

Thanks everyone :D

\ said:
Really sharp looking build,nice job masking the canopy . Paint and weathering looks awesome,very nicely done Sir!
Yeah, the masks you get with Eduard ProfiPack releases make the job a lot easier.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice looking Yak Maj , the paint job looks great. The paler colour you mention around the star in the photo was probably yellow , at various stages of the war the stars had different surrounds ranging from none or yellow early on to just white then white with red border . Then theres the red stars with black outlines and black lines in the middle , different shaded areas etc!!!- still a great build , cheers tony

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Great looking Yak-3, Maj. I think you've improved from your FW190 build, that Yak is looking very good indeed.

eddiesolo

It's a modelling time!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Si.
Nice one, lovely work.

A

Apokalipse

\ said:
Nice looking Yak Maj , the paint job looks great. The paler colour you mention around the star in the photo was probably yellow , at various stages of the war the stars had different surrounds ranging from none or yellow early on to just white then white with red border . Then theres the red stars with black outlines and black lines in the middle , different shaded areas etc!!!- still a great build , cheers tony
Ah, interesting. I'll have to keep that in mind, thank you.

D

dougie

Really nice looking work, love the colour scheme and the weathering

Robert1968

SMF Supporter
First Name
Robert
Nicely done and nice detail indeed

Well done

Robert