1/48 Jagdpanther

H

HerrElektrika

Hey,

I'm Steve, new to the forum from USA :smiling3:

I mainly model figures, but am getting into tanks lately. I completed my camo scheme on my jagdpanther, painstakingly by hand :tongue-out: but I was curious as to the best wash to cover over the tank with? The base color is the factory dunkelgelb. The tank looks too new/fresh so I wanted to darken the overall appearance. I am using acrylic paint by the way(vallejo). Thanks :thumb2:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
For shading? What I like to use on my 1/72 scale wargames models on dark yellow is a wash of olive drab.

H

HerrElektrika

Hmm olive drab sounds interesting. Would of never thought of that. I will give It a test run thanks :thumb2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Steven,
Welcome to the forum look forward to seeing some of your work and seeing you around on here.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Hmm olive drab sounds interesting. Would of never thought of that.
German dark yellow is a greenish sand colour, so I found that using a dark sand colour/light brown didn’t look right because it made the model’s finish look brown instead of green. Olive drab is (well, was originally) made from ochre plus black, and looks greenish, so I thought I’d give that a try.

FWIW, I’m talking here specifically of using Gunze-Sangyo H74 Olive Drab (2) over Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow; this particular OD is lighter than some others, including the Vallejo 71043 airbrush-ready paint I’ve used on some models.

H

HerrElektrika

German dark yellow is a greenish sand colour, so I found that using a dark sand colour/light brown didn’t look right because it made the model’s finish look brown instead of green. Olive drab is (well, was originally) made from ochre plus black, and looks greenish, so I thought I’d give that a try.

FWIW, I’m talking here specifically of using Gunze-Sangyo H74 Olive Drab (2) over Tamiya XF-60 Dark Yellow; this particular OD is lighter than some others, including the Vallejo 71043 airbrush-ready paint I’ve used on some models.

Sounds like a good idea. Thanks for the input jakko

H

HerrElektrika

While I have your attention, I might as well ask if you know any good sources for 1/48 German tank crew figures? Finding 1/35 scale is not an issue but 1/48 seems not to be so easy. 1:48 is not my specialty so to speak

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi,
Tamiya do crew figures - their 48th figures tend to be variable in quality

Also try:

Hecker & Goros
Dartmoor Military Models
Verlinden used to - may still be a few on ebay etc

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I dont know if I am too late Steven but you may want to try filters first and build up the layers rather than loose all your hard camo work with a heavy wash. Welsome to the forum and I look forward to seeing the build