1/48 Kaman SH-2F (Seasprite) Matchbox

L

Lady_Phoenix

The Kaman SH-2 Seasprite is a ship-based helicopter with anti-submarine, anti-surface threat capability, including over-the-horizon targeting. This aircraft extends and increases shipboard sensor and weapon capabilities against several types of enemy threats, including submarines of all types, surface ships, and patrol craft that may be armed with anti-ship missiles. It was developed for the United States Navy beginning in the late 1950s.

Wikipedia

This is actually my 4th 1/48 kit, my 6th since returning to the hobby. At time of writing I have another kit on the go, which can be found elsewhere in this forum. I tend to do more than 1 kit at a time flitting between the two, usually when Im waiting for something, such as a colour to dry.

I bought this kit on e-bay for £9.20, Matchbox Kaman SH-2F Seasprite 1-48 scale kit/model on eBay (end time 10-Oct-10 14:59:15 BST). With such a god price and the fact that I have modelled this as a kid in 1/72 and the fact that its my favourite helicopter ever, how could I not buy it.

I have used the following references

Kaman SH-2 Seasprite - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Kaman SH-2F Seasprite (Matchbox 1/48) by Jan M. Visser

1/48 Kaman Seasprite

SH-2 Sea Sprite--1998 MCAS Miramar Air Show

Federation of American Scientists :: SH-2 Seasprite

Aircraft: Kaman SH-2F

Ray Trygstad: Naval Officer: The SH-2F Seasprite

kaman SH-2F - Helicopter Database

I am not in position to add photos yet (Camera problems) but will add photos as I build.

I am led to believe that this is a very old kit and shortly after it was produced the moulds were leased to revell who sarted producion. Therefore I would assume hat he maatchbox and Revell kits are practically identical. One of my references feaures a machbox build but of an aircraft from a differen air wing, so I will assume that either a different decal set was released or he reviewer bough a new decal sheet.

This kit comes with decals for wo different aircraft. You can build one attached to HSL 37 aboard the USS Rathburne, or he one that I plan to build, HSL-32 assigned to the USS Valdez. Boh are practically identical but he decals for HSL-32 are a bi more colourful and feature 5 sub kills down he side :smiling3:

The kit is produced in 3 colours which to be fair doesnt make a difference at all, but it does start to look nice when put together awaiting paining.

Below is a "borrowed images" of the kit.

Jumping a little ahead dry fiing a few parts suggest that this kit isn going to be he best fit ever. This may be due to he age of the kit (Badly sored resulting in warping?), a poor quality kit, or both. So, Milliput on standby.

There are 13 colours listed in the instructions, all with the FS numbers (Sorry, can remember who makes those ones). 1 or 2 can be omited if you dot intend to include pilots (As I will be doing) and obviously you will need extra if you inend to include extra detail.

Unforunately this kit will be a quite slow progression initially as many of he paints I do no yet own, so pay day will be an exciting me for me.

Last edited:

1275GT

Wow, I haven't seen one of these in ages........and I'd forgotten how old they are!

It's nice to see some odd-ball's being built, good luck with it.

Cheers, Neil