1/48 Monogram Hawker Typhoon

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi folks thought I'd have a go at this old monogram kit 1969 production which is nearly as old as myself. After a little research I did find an earlier version produced in 1967. Thankfully the decals were produced in 1990 so only 30 years old. I hope they old together ok once immersed in water and treated with decal solutions as I really like the chequered band on the fuselage and wouldnt fancy trying to replicate in paint. Thanks for looking in and any comments left.
Cheers JohnIMG_1122.JPGIMG_1123.JPGIMG_1124.JPGIMG_1127.JPGIMG_1128.JPG

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice one john , i love a good old monogram . The decals however dont age well , i would give them a coat of decal film or something before trying them , ive had quite a few cases of them breaking up once they get in the water . The Re issues in Revell boxes are fine as Revell decals always behave themselves .

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
John I just got one also in the mail today mine is the 1968 issue the same year I was born I’ll follow a long and watch never but any GB aircraft. Is that the pilot supplied with the kit if so WOW you did a awesome job

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
John I just got one also in the mail today mine is the 1968 issue the same year I was born I’ll follow a long and watch never but any GB aircraft. Is that the pilot supplied with the kit if so WOW you did a awesome job
Hi Lee yes the pilot comes with the Aircraft and the kit goes together quite well just dry fit everything before glueing. The filling and sanding locations are along some places on the seams and underneath on the rear of the wings where it joins the fuselage. Be careful with the canopies as mine appeared to be very crispy and brittle and I'm not sure yet if the decals are going to hold together when immersed in water and treated with decal solutions. Overhaul though a nice little build and I've enjoyed it so far. Here's a video I've watched while I've been building it. Interesting to some and I really enjoyed it as it's very informative about the subject matter. Good luck and have fun with it. Cheers John.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Looking good so fat John. Love the DIY plane stand BTW - simple and yet very effective!

ATB

Andrew

john i am

SMF Supporter
First Name
john
Hi guys n gals having a mini break from diy and finally found some time to visit the man cave. Just started spraying the camo pattern onto the old Monogram Typhoon. Also picked up on a few of my other stalled builds. Thanks for looking in cheers John. IMG_1438.JPG