1/48 Revell FW190 D-11 from JV44 by flounder_al

D

dd2356

\ said:
Wow that was a nasty gap! How was the fit with the fuselage at the trailing edge?Don't panic Graham,I haven't started yet either.

Steve
Me neither. I'll probably start this weekend.

Dave

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Fit length wise was great. Just a shame about the gaps at the wing root. Other then that it's been good

N

noble

Hi mate iam glad iam not the only one with gap problems at the wing roots my italeri version was the same, nice job though so farkeep it up it builds character lol.

scott

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Started the masking and painting phase today. My eyes and back are killing me and i just had to have a 15 year old Dalwhinnie malt to help be 'losen' up a little.

I applied a light grey primer first for before i applied the white coat. The idea was for it to give the white paint something to hold onto. Wish i had done two white coats not as you'll see later.

Then i masked it up. All i can say is i'm glad i'm not building a staffel of them.

View attachment 14406

Then after i had taken my medicinal tonic i applied the red coat.

View attachment 14407

Then the finish. Carefully peel off the masking tape. Looks alright eh? I have two major paint repairs to do where the white paint came away with the tamiya tape. Not sure how i am going to do this though. Any ideas?

View attachment 14408

View attachment 22892

View attachment 22893

View attachment 22894

100420101292..jpg

100420101293..jpg

100420101294..jpg

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
If you mean the two bits of white stripe that have gone AWAOL only one thing to do really, so out with that tape again.

Small bits like that I often mask off with a post-it note. Nice hard edge, thin and not to sticky.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
How come I missed your update? The stripes look good. There's something satisfying about peeling of the masking to reveal a scheme like this one. I'm staying tuned for the rest of the build.

Cheers

Steve

C

colprit

Coming along nicely, good tip there with the post it notes, the only other tip I can say is very carefully. Keep up the good work looking forward to seeing it at the end of your build.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well i had an attempt at mottle effect with an airbrush and i have to say it's pants. I'm going to have to respray some sections as the paint (Vallejo Model Air) splattered and dried up really quickly at low pressure. Not impressed at all. Also i think i didn't get the air pressure low enough :sad:

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Aaah,the joys of the airbrush! The good news is that you can go over it again, ask me how I know.

Cheers

Steve

F

Fenlander

The good news is that you can go over it again, ask me how I know
I think at some point, we all bless the fact that we can re-spray without too much loss of detail.....

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Well i've had a mare with the mottling so it is what it is. I have given up painting and repainting. Doesn't look any good but i need to get it finished now lol.

Will post some pics soon.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Here are two pics. I've started adding exhaust stain as well. I'm really not happy with the mottling but i can't be bothered to change it now. For some reason my airbrush and Vallejo paints decided not to like each other. Normally they are fine and as long as you clean it out well at the end there is no problem. But i suppose you build and learn. The exhaust stain is black chalk and it is also going to be used for the cannon stains and shell eject ports on the wings.

View attachment 15023

View attachment 15022

View attachment 23430

View attachment 23431

250420101350..jpg

250420101348..jpg

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Here is a quick update. Not much done to it as i've been busy with work and also trying to get the Hunter finished for my fathers birthday. Started placing the decals on. Starting to look ok and it hides the paint job so thats good :smiling3:

View attachment 15336

View attachment 23707

100520101400.jpg

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Keep it up allyne , nearly there. Its looking great , cant wait to see the hunter too. cheers tony