1/48 Revell He111 H22 & V-1 Rocket

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
It'll be on the ground Chris. I've not built a kit 'flying' since i was a kid lol

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Nice start al , I always fancied one of these monogram he111s but the masking of the canopy gives me shivers !

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice start Alan, looking forward to this coming together. Do you have a mask set for it or will it be a DIY job?

ATB

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Nice start al , I always fancied one of these monogram he111s but the masking of the canopy gives me shivers !
HI Tony I know the hink has got a lot of glass in the front but when I was a lot younger I built one an admitly I dint paint the inside of the glass but had a go at hand paintin on the outside it turned out reasonable not brilliant but at least it got done with a very tiny brush an I was pleased with it to me that's all that matters an I really enjoyed doin it
chris

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
HI Tony I know the hink has got a lot of glass in the front but when I was a lot younger I built one an admitly I dint paint the inside of the glass but had a go at hand paintin on the outside it turned out reasonable not brilliant but at least it got done with a very tiny brush an I was pleased with it to me that's all that matters an I really enjoyed doin it
chris
If I ever did one chris I’d be getting an Eduard mask set that’s for sure!

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Alan, you are building the world's first aircraft launched cruise missile.

Actually the first 'cruise missile' was the BV 246 'Hagelkorn' (used by he Do215 and Fw190). It was radio controlled where as the V1 was a general direction (gimble controlled) missile. Also the V1 being called a rocket (as per the box title) is misleading. It did not use rocket propulsion but actually used pulse jet technology.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
That V1 is much bigger than I imagined. I am sure the Eduard masks will save your sanity and hours of frustration.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Actually the first 'cruise missile' was the BV 246 'Hagelkorn'
That’s not a cruise missile but a guided glide bomb. For it to be a missile would require it to have propulsion, and the BV 246 was basically just a bomb shape with glider-style wings and an aircraft-like tail, no propulsion at all.

It also doesn’t qualify as a cruise missile because those weapons are not only powered but under their own control to hit a target at very long range, rather than being guided by an operator. The V-1 was a cruise missile: after it was launched, its (very simple) autopilot tried to keep it on course and then have it dive at a pre-programmed distance so it would hopefully land somewhere on or near the target. This is in essence a very simple version of what things like Tomahawk missiles do with a precision of about ten metres today.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
That’s not a cruise missile but a guided glide bomb. For it to be a missile would require it to have propulsion, and the BV 246 was basically just a bomb shape with glider-style wings and an aircraft-like tail, no propulsion at all.

It also doesn’t qualify as a cruise missile because those weapons are not only powered but under their own control to hit a target at very long range, rather than being guided by an operator. The V-1 was a cruise missile: after it was launched, its (very simple) autopilot tried to keep it on course and then have it dive at a pre-programmed distance so it would hopefully land somewhere on or near the target. This is in essence a very simple version of what things like Tomahawk missiles do with a precision of about ten metres today.

Fair enough i take your point regarding the Bv246. But the V1 didn't have a dive program. The pulse jet was cut either by lack of fuel or a pre-determined timming and the V1 would tumble down to earth with hardly any accuracy (look for V1 impact maps on google). If it landed in the general area that was more by luck than judgement.

D

Deleted member 6559

Quite a few landed on Canterbury, and I suppose they were accurate enough for the damage they caused. Killed a pub full of people in a village called Sturry, and there is a gap in the thirties terrace down the road where a new house was built after the war in a gap caused by a V1. My mum still remembers the sound of the engine and waiting for the cut-off while sitting in the Anderson shelter in Sidcup as a kid.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Got the RLM 66 down tonight on cockpit parts and in the main body. Tried to make the leather pad a bit more realistic. Looks better in natural light. Still some work to be done adding PE and weathering. But it's starting to come together now :smiling3:

IMG_1835.JPG

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Nice progress Alan!
Those masks have their own instructions, doesn't look like a 5minute-job :astonished: !

Looking good :thumb2:
Steven

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
5 minutes? I wish! Double side A4 sheet of where to place them. I'm about half way through. Had to give up to give my eyes a rest.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
the V1 didn't have a dive program. The pulse jet was cut either by lack of fuel or a pre-determined timming and the V1 would tumble down to earth
That’s what I meant. It may not have been an actual dive, but the idea was to get it to the ground at a certain distance after launch.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Looking nice Alan. I'm relieved to see you went the mask route. A very sensible move considering the 'Greenhouse' on the front of this aircraft.