1/48 Revell He111 H22 & V-1 Rocket

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Nah the masks are easier Jakko :smiling3:
I suggested it mainly because I found them hard to line up on the Brewster I built last year. Not sure I’d do that again :smiling3:

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Problem with this kit is that the canopy frames aren't that pronounced. Therefore it would be really hard to get decent lines to cut against.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Had a week off and when i've got some actual time to myself (away from the massive 'to do' list SWMBO has for me), i've been working on this. And 99% of that time has been sanding! The fit is terrible. Nothing has lined up and i've used plenty of Mr. Dissolved Putty to try and level things up. The body is just about acceptable now and one wing has been 'fettled' into some sort of decent position. But the other wing has a big gap down the join. Also the joins where the engines mount to the wing are terrible too. I'm going to fill best i can but i'm not spending to much more time on it. This is seriously testing my patience now.

IMG_1865.JPGIMG_1868.JPGIMG_1869.JPGIMG_1870.JPG

First Name
Gary
I'm hoping my ICM 111 is lot better Alan. Reviews say it is but I will see. I know my P51D had a distinct curve to the wings and I had to flex them up a bit to close the gap. But I did still had one but not as bad as that. Revel again

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
That's a bad looking fit indeed Alan, it's a sad thing to spend your precious time on problems like this.
I'm sure you'll make the best out of it though, in the end it will be rewarding.
Thumbs up and putty out :thumb2:
Steven

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A nasty gap, but hey, you'd get bored if it wasn't there. I reckon that gaps needs a bit of plastic to maintain the strength of the joint. Stretched sprue calling......

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Alan
The cockpit looks good especially as it is, as you say, rather chunky. That fit is certainly bad. I can understand you not being willing to spend too much time on this but think of the glow of self satisfaction you'll get when you have it sorted :rolling:
Hope you're fully recovered from your argument with the barn door.
Jim

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
I reckon that gaps needs a bit of plastic to maintain the strength of the joint. Stretched sprue calling......

I was thinking the same thing. I have some plastic card i was going to make a shim with then fill any gap left with dissolved putty. This is all a shame really because for the kits age, it's quite a detailed kit. Although i have to say that the panel lines are very shallow. More realistic yes. But still a pain when you have to sand so much and re-scribe them.

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
All cut and filed. Gap is a little more acceptable now on the wing root. Mr Dissolved Putty will deal with the rest of the gap. Time to deal with the engine mount gap.

IMG_1880.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Wings are now glued on. Need to fill the gaps and obviously do more sanding. I've placed the V1 and a 1/48 Fw190 next to it to give a size impression. She's a big bird!

IMG_1891.JPG

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Lost the plot with this today. I knocked it off my work bench and it has broken the wing joins on both sides :sad: Which will mean i have to re-glue and re-fill the wing seams. So instead of doing a half-assed job i'm going to shelve this and come back to it later. I need some building relief so i'll pick a kit i can build up virtually straight from the box.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Shame about that alan but as you say , probably best to come back to it another time , cheers tony

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Bummer Alan! :astonished:
Better start something fresh then and get back on it later :thumb2:
Steven

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI AL no offence intened but I think you are wrong shelveing this lovely build after a small set back as if I get a problem on my tiger I keep at it until its fixed then you can say well I dint beat me as I wont be happy with myself if I shelve something as when you go back to the build the problem is still there so if it was me I have a little break from it (again no pun intened an the next day get stuck back into it an fix it an for me I would an am a happy bunny then
ATB AL
chris