1/48 Revell Spitfire

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Hi all, this is my first ever model so has plenty of issues. I was in two minds about putting up the pictures but I have to start somewhere and I'm here to learn, so I'll just dive right in warts n all.

No weathering of any kind as I have limited resources (and skills!), colours are what I had. Decals were a nightmare but I started to get the hang of it near the end, and the canopy looks like I've thrown it on with a catapult :smiling5:

Had loads of fun though, learnt a lot already, and realised how much further there is to go on the learning curve. Really happy with it for a first attempt, but know I can (hopefully) only get better from here with practice and guidance from you guys.

hkli4Ig.jpg

PRupNlY.jpg

uLAdtfR.jpg

6PrWLGK.jpg

Cheers,
Andy.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks Pete.

Once I get some proper glasses sorted I might do a better job of the finer details!

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Excellent result!
Feels like a rite of passage I’m sure, certainly for a majority of us who I’m certain built a spitfire first!

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Andy it looks a nice model to me as Pete said an first attempt too an Im not good at this weathering an all aircraft are new at some point so nice one an cockpit looks ok to me :thumb2:
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Nice clean finish, looks good, and you enjoyed it. That’s a win, win, win to me!
What’s next? Perhaps a 109 to go with it?

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks guys.

I'm guessing the pictures mask some of the issues I can see but I'm glad to get the first one under my belt.

I have a Seaking on its way to me Tim, but not sure after that. I've always admired the A-10 Thunderbolt/Warthog, both from a technical standpoint and it's functon-before-form quirky looks, so will be on the lookout for a decent version.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Andy, it’s rule one of modelling mate. Things that scream “wrong “ or “bad” to you are really not that noticeable to others. Just like home decorating or playing in a band....
Look forward to seeing the next one, I’ve never made a whirley........

Peej

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
For your 1st build you have done s fantastic job. Looking forward to seeing some more.

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
First build?!
You made a great job out of it Andy! Give yourself a cigar and relax.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Excellent job for a first effort andy. Its all new to you so to get a result like that shows you must be a quick learner, of course your job means that the paint side of things is going to be fairly intuitive , cheers tony

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks again for the kind words all.

I enjoyed painting the most, probably because it was the most familiar part, but masking out the camouflage was a challenge. Hopefully as my skills improve I'll give freehand a try. Also started to get better results from the Vallejo model air as I went along. As someone mentioned in another topic I think I was trying to build it up too quickly like I would at work. Multiple lighter coats gave a much better finish and dried more evenly.

I'm sure there are much better products out there but for now I think I'll stick with these. I get enough exposure to nasty chemicals during the day (I'm nervously awaiting the results of my latest wee test!) so sticking to something a little safer at home might be prudent.

D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks. Test is pretty routine and I haven't failed one yet, but it could end my painting career if I did so always a concern.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Andy,
Lovely job on the Spitfire. I would get used to one sort of paint, and hone your technique - once you've got that sorted, then is the time to try new paints. Some paints need different dilutions, or give slightly different spray patterns. It's then a matter of finding a make that you are happy with! I use all sorts of paints, AK, Vallejo, Hataka, MiG Ammo, and all seem to have their little quirks.............
Dave

D

Deleted member 4539

Well done for your first model.
All the basics are there and over time I'm sure there will be many improvements as yo do each kit.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
Had loads of fun though, learnt a lot already
That sums up why we do the hobby in my opinion. As for the model - great. A nice neat, well painted model. Nothing shabby about that for a first attempt.
That Spitfire will always be special. I have no doubt that as time goes on you will make models that are technically better but you'll have a special affection for this.
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
well done, Andy, that's a great first build- not too shabby at all!
and welcome to the hobby!
Neil