1/48 Tamiya Messerschmitt Bf109 G-6

First Name
Gary
I know. I'm OK with most of it but this will only be my second "mottled" aircraft. Looks a bit more challenging I have to say. I used a brush for the mottles on the 190 so I might do the same here or without going crazy alter the camo shapes a bit to fit in with my skill level. Might try airbrush with pressure turned down for close in "blips" of the trigger. Oooh er missus

AlanG

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alan
Lookin forward to seeing this Gary

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Love this stage of the build, it’s all bare plastic and imagination......you’ll like this. I did an earlier mark of the 109 and thought it was a fantastic kit.

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
i'm curious to see what the tiny parts, look like black rubber and one metal piece are in the blue packet.
I can’t tell from the photo, but I’m guessing the black things are poly caps for the propeller shaft. The Tamiya 1:72 scale F4U Corsair I built came with that feature, anyway. No idea about the metal piece.

Ah, somebody posted the instructions on Scalemates. Odd … one poly cap is for hanging the centreline drop tank off of. Another is indeed used to attach the propeller. The metal parts are apparently ten washers and two magnets. The magnets turn out to go into the forward fuselage and the washers into the cowlings, so those can be detachable yet securely held to the model.

D

Deleted member 7181

This is a kit I've been looking at.

The poly cap for the tank is so it can be removed. The finished model can be displayed with either open or closed engine cowls (hence the magnets so they can be swapped) but the tank won't fit when the cowls are open.

First Name
Gary
Did a bit of forward reading of the instructions and you are spot on Jakko and Andy. Tamiya really do put some thoughtful detail in their models. In fact going through the instructions you can see a lot of impressive detail. On the odd model the detail on models can be just for the sake of it. But here it looks part of the fun and hopefully makes for an interesting build.

First Name
Gary
Lovely model to build. Surprisingly smaller than the 1/48 Spitfire. Fast and nimble.

No dashboard yet but a beautifully detailed engine with a couple of small magnets to hold hood open or closed. Great detail by Tamiya

109 Seat.jpg

109 pre Engine.jpg

109 bare.jpg

Attachments

• 109 Seat.jpg
    109 Seat.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 0
First Name
Gary
Finally finished. One of the most enjoyable models to do. everything fitted and some interesting engine details. I prefer it closed up rather than with open engine cowlings. But a really nice model to build and paint. Any gaps yu see around the front are because I'm nervous about pressing the cowling down too hard. But everything fits perfectly with a bit of pressure which I'll do on display. And I'll straighten the fuel pod up ;)

109 Closed .jpg

109LSF.jpg

109 RSF.jpg

109 Closed R.jpg

109 Open LS.jpg

109 Open LSU.jpg

109 Closed FL.jpg

109 Underside.jpg

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
It's like a drug. I was going to leave a gap but I sat looking at the box and well
I'm just at the decal stage with my build, wondering which next !
Anyway, this turned out very nice in the end. Top job.

First Name
Gary
Thanks. I used B as the design to copy, as best I could. I didn't fit the many microscopic decals as to me it's not worth the pain. But the rest are really good. I did my usual minimum weathering and focused on the underside which shows the weathering more.

Last edited:
First Name
Carl
Well done , nice camo effect. I must say i do find the German aircraft have much more interesting paint jobs than there British counterparts Although they can be quite challenging to produce.
carl