1/48 Tamiya SS-100 & 88mm Flak 37

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
It has been a while since I built a vehicle. I picked this up at Telford. I thought I had got a bargain but it is available cheaper online. Anyway it is a fairly recent kit and has pretty decent reviews. The tractor is Tamiya but the 88mm is Italeri. I also bought some PE and a metal barrel. Having looked at the kit and the PE I probably could have done without the extra expense as the kit is rather good and a lot of the PE adds very little so I'll not use most of it. The most useful is the gun shield as that is closer to scale thickness.
P1060161.JPG
P1060162.JPG
The gun looks the most fiddly and will probably need more fettling than the Tamiya tractor so I've started with that. Small parts but no flash and good fit so far. Started with the cruciform carriage.
This is ugly - join and hinge bit.
P1060163.JPG
Needed filling and some reference photos show a cover over the hinge end.
P1060167.JPG
No other problems to get to this stage.
P1060165.JPG
I have been very taken recently with some of the dios on here with mud. I would like to put this on a dio - a nice muddy track. I suppose the gun could be displayed deployed but the 5 figures included will only work for the whole thing travelling. The advantage of 1/48 is it will keep the dio to a reasonable size.
I hope some of you will feel this is worth a look and I do have choccie biccies and beverages :thumb2:. If you could sit quietly and not drop crumbs or throw things the missus would be most grateful.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Hi Jim - been waiting for this one to start :thumb2:

The mating surfaces of the top and bottom plates of that carriage look like they could have done with a bit of sanding flat - now ten years old so I guess the moulds are a bit worn, especially compared to the nice shiny new Tamiya tractor

The bling should tart it up nicely :thumb2:

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Seat front and centre if I may. I have brought the Rayburns for all that PE. Nice to see you are off and running. I have brought my own mini hoover as biscuits always make a mess LOL. Good luck sir

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Glad to have you following along. As always you'll need patience as I'm rather a slow modeller :rolling:
Ron - home made popcorn it is. But you can pick up all the kernels that escape.
Simon - The mating surfaces would have sanded back for a better join but I was worried that too much sanding would have thrown out the fit of other bits. Filled ok anyway.
Peter - I think I remember you building a 1/48 vehicle. Hope mine turns out as well.
Peter G - No worries. The dog loves biscuit crumbs.
Steve -
I have brought my own mini hoover as biscuits always make a mess LOL.
The sign of a true gentleman.
Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Steven and Scottie - welcome

I have built up the barrel and its framework. A bit of fettling needed to fit the metal barrel but it fits really well.
P1060168.JPG

P1060169.JPG

P1060170.JPG

The barrel/breech is removable. I like to assemble as much as possible before painting. Fitting painted parts always seems to end up with glue marks and damage and subsequent touching up. This has so many nooks and crannies that the airbrush will find hard to reach that I'll have to paint in sub assemblies. I think I'll prime the sub assemblies in dark grey and then do some more fixing together. The top coat will be German Grey so any areas which the top coat doesn't quite reach will be dark grey and look like shadow - hopefully :thinking:

Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Andrew - thanks and welcome.
Some progress. Both left and right gun mounts just about complete. Much smaller than I imagined even at this scale but Italeri have not done a bad job as far as detail is concerned although it took time to clean up and get a reasonable fit.
P1060173.JPG
Still a seat and two hand wheels to fit.

P1060174.JPG
These are the outer sides. The inners were fairly plain but did have ejector pin marks to fill.

For size comparison - a no11 blade.
P1060172.JPG

The large oval areas of filler are where the kit detail had to be cut away for PE replacements.

Jim

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Raymond and Peter - thanks guys.
I'm going to try to get some primer on the parts I've done I think. I'm worried that if I go too far with the construction I'll make painting very difficult.
Jim

shovelhead 1977

SMF Supporter
First Name
raymond
Raymond and Peter - thanks guys.
I'm going to try to get some primer on the parts I've done I think. I'm worried that if I go too far with the construction I'll make painting very difficult.
Jim
your doing well jim, I used halfords grey plastic primer aerosol, worked ok for me

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Steve - it is a nice, well detailed kit for 1/48. Just very fiddly.
Ray - cheers. I have used that Halfords primer and I know it is well thought of. With this being so small and intricate I think I'll need the control that the airbrush gives.

I have finished dealing with all the gun parts. I mixed up a dark grey primer - Stynylrez grey + black. Tried to get full coverage without risking runs. Not bad but as you can see in the second photo I'll have to sort a few areas. I'll leave it to dry completely and then deal with those bits I missed.
P1060176.JPG

P1060177.JPG

Thanks for your support.
Jim