1/48 Tamiya SS-100 & 88mm Flak 37

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Very tidy work as usual Jimbo!
I tend to use black primer on very fiddly builds these days, because it’s easier to see where you’ve missed a bit, and it also acts as preshading when you spray your top coat over it. At this scale, the shadows will accentuate the details that you’re being so careful to maintain.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Scottie, Raymond and Peter - thanks guys :thumb2:
Alistair - spraying fiddly areas is awkward and a dark primer does make good shadows when the top coat goes on.

I have been building up the two carriages. Both identical apart from the front one having a tow bar. Small parts, a lot of clean up, a few PE parts and some small discs, bolt heads and handles replaced. The large marks under the mudguards will not show and be covered in mud :smiling:
P1060181.JPG

P1060182.JPG

P1060183.JPG
A few more bits to add including the seats and reels for communication cables. Thanks to advice from Mr T and Mr bones I have ordered some embossing tools to shape the PE seats :tongue-out3:
Jim

shovelhead 1977

SMF Supporter
First Name
raymond
looking good, excellent work ! I thought that big lever was a handbrake, but apparently its to release the bogies from where they couple to the cruciform

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Raymond - to be honest I don't know what most of the controls do. I really admire (and I'm rather envious of) those guys who really know their stuff.
Steve - thanks. It is a nicely detailed kit although this Italeri part needs a fair bit of clean up.

Both trailers have been completed apart from the reels and the seats.
P1060184.JPG

P1060185.JPG

P1060186.JPG

P1060187.JPG

As Steve noted it is very small.
P1060188.JPG

Stynylrez dark grey primer. Difficult to get complete coverage so some touch up maybe needed.
P1060189.JPG

P1060190.JPG

P1060191.JPG

I mentioned the parts needed a lot of clean up. I thought I'd been pretty thorough but under primer you can see the mould line down the nearest spring :sad: I'll probably leave it as it won't be seen and I hope to put this on a dio with mud :thinking:
P1060192.JPG

Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Raymond - to be honest I don't know what most of the controls do. I really admire (and I'm rather envious of) those guys who really know their stuff.
Here you go: US Army Technical Manual E9-369A for captured German 88 mm anti-aircraft guns :smiling3: (I’ve got a real one, makes interesting reading IMHO, as it’s focused mostly on how to use the gun instead of how to maintain it like most American TMs.)

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Jim
I’ve had my eye on this kit for months glad you got it watching and learning great progress

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys - your kind comments mean a lot
Jakko - that manual is amazing, thanks.

I've done some work on the gun shield. Not all 88mm guns had shields. The shield was much more common on guns used in an anti tank role rather than an anti aircraft role.
Italeri had made an attempt to thin the edges but the kit shield is pretty poor. Ejector marks everywhere.
P1060194.JPG

PE part is much better.
P1060193.JPG

Shame they have the sides separate. I reckon it would have worked just to have the sides being bent into position. First mistake was to bend the itty-bitty brackets on one side the wrong way. Luckily they didn't fall off when bent correctly :smiling: Second error was forgetting that the sides fixed at an angle - I fixed the first at a right angle but luckily realised my mistake straight away. I then used the kit part to establish the angle. All taped down to a piece of glass.

P1060196.JPG

P1060197.JPG

Ran CA along the join so hopefully it will be strong enough. The small white blocks are to locate the gun sides correctly.P1060198.JPG
A few more bits to add. If it doesn't work it will be easy to scratch a shield from thin styrene sheet :thinking:

Thanks again for looking in.
Jim

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Good idea to use the kit’s shield as a support to get the angle right!

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Nice work on the shield Jim . I'm sure it will work out fine and dandy.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys
Progress on the PE shield.
P1060205.JPG

P1060206.JPG

and after primer.
P1060207.JPG

P1060208.JPG

I have completed the cable reels. The PE provided the reel sides but they were only detailed on one side so I stuck with the kit parts. The underside of the boxes was moulded hollow and so had to be boxed in with thin sheet.
P1060209.JPG

P1060210.JPG

Thanks to sound advice from some of my fellow mogglers I managed to 'dish' the PE seats. Flat and dished. A real difference :thumb2:
P1060200.JPG

Thanks once again for following along.
Jim

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Well done Jim - that seat pan looks pretty spot-on now. Lovely work on the shield and the reels too :thumb2:

shovelhead 1977

SMF Supporter
First Name
raymond
very well done, coming along very nicely, I would have to have a cushion for that seat !