1/48 Testors Me163 Komet

T

treyzx10r

Quick little no frills build. I did add some scratch interior bits and a new canopy. Not too bad for a $7.00 build

thanks for looking all comments and critiques most welcome

First Name
Dave
Nice model.Just goes to show you don't have to spend a fortune on the Dragon kit to make a good replica of this aircraft.Did the instrument panel come with the kit or did you scratch build it?.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Yep,very nice as usual Trey. Not an aircraft I'd have cared to have a go in!

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

I remember reading a brilliant paperback about these when I was a cadet many years ago. The pilots who tested these things were a breed on thier own and the fuel they used, Z-Stoff and T-Stoff, was a lethal concoction. Not only extreemly volatile but also very poisonous.

An amazing aircraft and well deserving of a place in history. As you say, great little build, lovely bit of additional detail and all for under 7 bucks. Can't be bad.

T

treyzx10r

thanks Dave the instrument panel was cut up from a leftover build.

Steve thanks ,agree whole heartedly on the no-fly

thanks Richard, I remember seeing an interview with Dittmer(think that was his name) who survived a crash in one and was chemical burned very badly

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Hi trey, lovely build, the paintwork is excellent! Top work on the cockpit and scratchbuilding the canopy too , brilliant! cheers tony

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
They wore natty (not!) neoprene flight suits to protect themselves. It was really as much a high speed/altitude glider as it was rocket plane. I've got some rate of climb figures somewhere at home and they are mind boggling. Of course as the fuel load burned off and it got lighter its rate of climb increased.

Eric Brown was one of a few pilots (maybe the only allied one) to fly the Me163. There is an interview with him here.

Video interview - Captain Eric 'Winkle' Brown | Aerospace Insight | The Royal Aeronautical Society

Cheers

Steve