1:48th scale Battle of Britain Diorama

B

Boldman

As I mentioned before, I have been working on a Diorama for a while to illustrate one day in September 1940 during the battle of Britain.

The day is September 10th 1940. The location is RAF Gravesend in Kent, a satellite airfield of Biggin Hill. This has been the home of 501 Squadron, equipped with Hurricane Mk 1s since 25th July. They are now being rotated to RAF Kenley in Surrey where they will remain until December. Arriving a the airfield to replace them is 66 Squadron, one of the first squadrons to have been equipped with Spitfires back in 1938. They have been at RAF Kenley for only 8 days having been based at Coltishall befroe that. So on this one day, Spitfires and Hurricanes shared an airfield...

So here we have Spitfire R6800 flown by 66 Sqn's CO, Sqn Ldr Rupert "Lucky" Leigh and Hurricane P3059 flown by Group Captain Byron Duckenfield.

So first the picture that inspired me:

View attachment 27460

This comes from the Osprey "Spitfire MkI/II SAces 1939-41" book.

Next the planes:

View attachment 27467View attachment 27469View attachment 27471View attachment 27468View attachment 27470

What you can see in the background are the other items I was originally goign to place in the scene and this is where my interest in Tillys came from! However as we know, Austin Tillys were never used by the RAF so I had to abandon that idea and sourced a Standard Tilly from Accurate Armour and you've seen the results.

The Spitfie is a Tamiya Mk 1 with Eduard seat belts but otherwise out of the box. The Hurricane is a Hasegawa one bought very expensively from evilBay since its quite rate and with the Eduard PE cockpit set. In the above photos, the Hurricane hadn't had it weathering added and the spit needed some more matt varnish.

So to add to the diorama I got the ICM figure set as you see above and I also acquired the Eduard RAF WWII Personnel set and the RAF Fighter Crew 1940 set, which have some, shall we say, unusual poses!

The ICM set has a nice set of tools as well. I did also source the Aber Hand Tools PE set but when it arrived I took one look and how minute it is and left it to one side! There is NO way I'm goign to be able to assemble that set. I took a photo...

View attachment 27473

See what I mean?

So I built and painted some of the figures and tools and put them on my shelf while I proceeded to get distracted building a 1:35 Tilly and diorama.

View attachment 27465View attachment 27464View attachment 27463

So far all the figires are from the ICM set apart from the chap poiring oil over the Hurricane's wing who is from the Eduard Personnel box.

So finally I completed the Standard Tilly (photos here) and had found a suitable base board for the diorama (another cheapo picture frame from Wilkinson) so decided to have a bash and getting the grounds started.

First step was to prepare the base and I forgot to take any photos of this step, but it was essentially several layers of lightweight Hydrocal, with the last layer thinned down give it coverage up to the edges of the frame. I then added some claycrete to represent a small bomb crater and a filled in crater. I did these on Sunday so by today it was all dry. I added some artist acrylic paint to the latter stages of the Hydrocal which gave it a more earthy colour.

Now knowing the land around Gravesend as well as I do having grown up there, its a clay-based soil over chalk, so I kept the colours more orchre than brown as that is the soil that tends to show up. Where I lived we were surrounded by chalk quarries so you got to know what the topsoil looked like and since I'm also interested in Geology (part for my degree contained some Geophysics and Geology) I wanted to get things looking right.

So once its all dry, I gave the crater a dark wash with darkened raw umber paint, then built up layers of colour, lightening until the highlights were "damp" brushed with white artists acrylic. I call it damp brushing as the brush technique was the same as used for dry brushing but the brush had more paint on it that usual fro dry brushing :smiling3:

Then this evening I proceeded to build the grass ground cover. Since there is such a large expanse, this had to be done carefully to get some nice variation in texture and colour since a field of grass isn't uniform. The result is below...

View attachment 27466

This still needs some tidying up as the border is quite scrappy and the transition from the grass to the bomb crater needs more attention. That said I'm pleased with the result. I've added small stones and earth texture into the bomb crater plus left s few elements of claycrete a lighter colour to represent fragments of chalk and flint that you regularly find in this soil.

The grass is comprised of 3 main textures overlaid and mixed. The darkest is Woodland Scenics fine turf, then there are two varieties of static grass, summer grass and meadow grass that are used in different mixtures in different places.

Finally I couldn't resist a trial placement of the models so far :smiling3:

View attachment 27472

I still want to add more figures - we have no pilots for instance, plus some more tools, wheel chocks and most importantly a starter accumulator which I think I'm going to have to scratch build as there don't appear to be any Revell starter until kits available anymore. I've got some fuel drums as well but I'm not sure how appropriate they'd be in an airfield setting. I would have expected there to have been a refuelling truck available. Maybe later when I'm feeling more solvent I might invest in one of the Accurate Armour refuelling trucks :D

Anyway progress is progressing...

View attachment 33306

View attachment 33309

View attachment 33310

View attachment 33311

View attachment 33312

View attachment 33313

View attachment 33314

View attachment 33315

View attachment 33316

View attachment 33317

View attachment 33318

View attachment 33319

raf-gravesend.jpg

DSCF3660.jpg

DSCF3661.jpg

DSCF3662.jpg

DSCF3791.jpg

DSCF3650.jpg

DSCF3657.jpg

DSCF3658.jpg

DSCF3659.jpg

DSCF3655.jpg

DSCF3792.jpg

DSCF3793.jpg

B

Boldman

Finished!

So finally after getting distracted by other models (Challenger, 1:48 Tamiya Spitfire Vb) I returned to this ongoing diorama where I just needed to properly position all the elements and weather the grass under the planes. This has now been done and here are the final photos...

The figures are from our old friend the ICM RAF Ground crew, but I've added a couple form the Eduard RAF Ground crew set too. These figures are really not so well detailed as the ICM ones, but they have different poses, so it makes a change from seeing the ICM ones all the time :smiling3:

Without further ado...

View attachment 30543

View attachment 30544

View attachment 35685

View attachment 35686

DSCF4189.jpg

DSCF4188.jpg

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice diorama Andrew.

Well thought out and executed. Plenty to see on this busy corner of the airfield. The grass is especially well 'Weathered'

Excellent build with a bit of history, nice touch!

Cheers,

Ron

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Nice one Andrew.

Nice to see both the Hurricane and Spitfire together and what a nice muddy airfield they have to play on!

Good job.

Ian M

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I must have skipped past this! Very nice job,good to see the two old war horses together in a "contemporary" setting. At 1/48scale that must be a pretty good size too! A lovely diorama and a talking point too,you can't lose.

Cheers

Steve

B

Bunkerbarge

The best part I like about this diorama is the historical accuracy than has been portrayed as a result of the research. Only a single day in history when this scene was possbible gives it a whole new feeling and I bet you sit there waiting for someone to say that it's wrong having a Spit and a Hurricane next to each other!!

Great modelling as well with some very nicely done weathering techniques and a very well thought out and realistic base. The trouble is I can't help wanting to see more of it!!