1/48th Scale Saturn V

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I think what I may do to the aft interstage is to sand down the individual 1mm square stringers to a lower depth to better facilitate painting between them and masking. The stringers do stick out more than they do on the molded wraps which themselves will be easier to mask off.
On another note, Happy Holidays to all here and don't drink and drive.

First Name
Jean-Marc
Just stumble on your post .. WOW,WOW,WOW,WOW..you bet I'll be following the balance of your WIP !...

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Hope that works for you Steve.......good to see you posting again. :thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steven its good to see you after all this time i thought you had foggotten about us on here can we see some piccys please of your work on that big saturn 5 wow
chrisb

Last edited:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi Steven. Welcome back. Glad to see the big beast is still moving forward…..masking is always a chore, even in small amounts…..

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Hi Steven. Welcome back. Glad to see the big beast is still moving forward…..masking is always a chore, even in small amounts…..
yes you are right there Tim maskin is to me a chore that i hate an if a big aera its worst but i do love it when its time to remove it an it comes out perfect then it all seems worth all the hassle
chrisb

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
It's like Christmas time when unwrapping presents. Sometimes you get a tie that lights up and says, "Kiss Me In The Dark Baby" and you know you got a dud of a present. Or you get a slew of modeling stuff and you can't get that stupid smile off your face.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Great to see you back Steven. How's things ?

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
I took a sabbatical from the hobby. I'm now into masking and as far as the size, I have been dreading it. About a week ago, I finally started to partially sand down the height of the 1 mm stringers on the Aft Interstage to make masking easier. This is a major area for masking where the horizontal black and white demarcation lines are. The stringers are just too high to ensure proper adhesion of tape going up one side, across the top, down the other side and finally across the tough in between the stingers.
The weather has been unusual with more precipitation than in previous years and that has played a factor in attitude. When it's been nice out, I throw the top down and get as much sun as I can get. I still visit Starbucks and folks are wondering when the rocket will fly. "I don't know" is what I tell them. My SO and I have been looking into moving into a retirement resort in sunnier climate. Living in Washington state gets a significant amount of sunless days. She and I are thinking a move to Arizona will be better for our mental health. I've lived there between 1964-1987, so I know what we're getting into.
There are always pros and cons to everything in life and this move is no exception. Triple digit figures for temperatures for one third of the year is to be expected. On the other hand, moving to a gated resort community with golf courses, (we couldn't care less about playing) but a manicured course is pleasing to the eye, cooking classes, fitness center, community pools, and restaurants. It's time to change things up in our lives as we get 'older'. Here is a link to one possibility: https://www.sheahomes.com/new-homes...-creek/encanterra-a-trilogy-resort-community/
How are you folks doing? It is good to get back to you! You have been very supportive and that is so helpful for me. I thank you from my heart for being civil and up beat. Kudos to you! So spill your guts, (I sure did).

Last edited:

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
Steven, I'm glad to see you're back on Saturn :rolling: :smiling2:.
While getting my hat... I had a peek at the Encanterra resort using the link you posted: wonderful but some hundred thousand USD too far... even if I were planning to leave Italy. I was in Vancouver as a tourist some 20 years ago and I can understand your need for more sunny (and drier) days as well as your attitude towards masking. I dread too the moment I have to pick up the masking tape rolls and start cutting and pasting and cutting again and discover that there is a small surface still to be masked, so cut again a smaller strip and then remove the tape wrapped around my fingers and so on. But when the painting is done and masking is removed, well, that's the moment I forget all the pains of the endeavor.

Andrea

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Steven, have you considered masking with blu-tack or silly putty, which would push down between the stringer easier than tape?
Good luck with your move - I've been to Arizona a few times and loved it.
Pete

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
There is another method that perhaps you folks may be aware of. This is a link from Apogee Components which sells model rockets.
. I would start off at 35:00. It shows the techniques to paint a 1/70th scale Saturn V which I have. The Silly Putty method is another idea I will think about. Good call. Perhaps a combination of these. On smaller models, it was much easier for me to paint using 'standard' methods. This Interstage is the only part on the entire rocket I have to give careful consideration to. Thanks for the comments.

Last edited:

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Just to say it's been a miserable spring in the NW. It's very unusual for cloudy, rainy weather at this time of year. People are lamenting the loss of warmer days loud and clear. May was no better. It's been a serious struggle to get the interest and motivation to 'play' around. But as I type, I think I will go get the Nike Zeus out and start to repaper some of the plywood fins. Some areas did not adhere and created bubbles which I have sanded out in preparation for another go at papering again.

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steven long time no see how is that monster saturn comin on ?
chrisb