1/48th Scale Saturn V

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
This is a 1/10th scale Saturn V built and flown by Steve Eves in 2009. At the time it held the record for the largest model rocket to be flown. Due to low take off speed Steve needed to enlarge the fins considerably for off the pad stability. Scale fins would not have been sufficient in size to stabilize the model after leaving the tower. Makes mine look like a tinkertoy.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steven wow this 1/10 scale is a monster an brilliant i will show my wife when she gets up from bed as she works hard in her job so i let her sleep in but your model will be a whopper when you assemble it all. An sorry are you a new member on this forum ? as ive been watching other saturn 5 being built an im a little confused on that account but welcome to you if you are an ive been doin model rockettry with the Estes rockets an had great fun with them an my next door neibour also came into the hobby an we had height contest on our rockets launches will talk more later as i now need a cuppa
but that model of your wow
all best chris

Last edited:

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
HI Steven wow this 1/10 scale is a monster an brilliant i will show my wife when she gets up from bed as she works hard in her job so i let her sleep in but your model will be a whopper when you assemble it all. An sorry are you a new member on this forum ? as ive been watching other saturn 5 being built an im a little confused on that account but welcome to you if you are an ive been doin model rockettry with the Estes rockets an had great fun with them an my next door neibour a chap called mark also came into the hobby an we had height contest on our rockets launches will talk more later as i now need a cuppa
but that model of your wow
all best chris
Yes, I'm new here and this is my first postings as far as Sheri's Hot Rockets Saturn V. The company folded years ago and was taken up by Red Arrow Hobbies who also is no longer. These kits are indeed scarce and I want to obtain her 1/48th scale Saturn 1b and do similar work on it. I still enjoy low powered models as they are much less intense to build and can be flown in many places. Love the old Centuri and Estes stuff. Many kits yet to be built by them under the stairs for storage.

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thank you. The actual building was only half of the project. The other half is in the sanding, filling, priming, sanding, filling, priming routine. Then masking this thing off for the black and silver areas is going to be a bear! I'll show a mixture of techniques I'll use for this later.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YES Steven ive had to do all this on my hms tiger build an i really hate all the sanding down but its got to have been done now thank goodness but it never seem to end but it did an more please on your saturn egarly awaiting this
an more pics please
chris

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
YES Steven ive had to do all this on my hms tiger build an i really hate all the sanding down but its got to have been done now thank goodness but it never seem to end but it did an more please on your saturn egarly awaiting this
an more pics please
chris
So show me some of your stuff on this thread Christopher.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
So show me some of your stuff on this thread Christopher.
OK Steven ive just got too take a photo of the photos in my photo album an i'll first got too resize the pics then i'll post a few pics of our attempts at rocketry on here but remember they are only small metere sized rockets nothing like yours we was just havin fun with so dont exspect too much an this was 30 yrs ago will post the pics in a while
chris

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steven here are some of our attempts but not very good pics im afraid as could not afford a good camera then but this was about early 1980's an here my niegbour getting the sizzler rocket ready for lift off an my wife jen inthe background is all geared up as it was frezzein cold an it was a Estes rocketIMG_5784.JPG

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an launched could not get a pic here IMG_5785.JPGof the rocket here as it was a very fast take off speed an we used a C65 engine with an ejection charge to blow off the top to disgorge the parachute all great fun this was

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
an in this pic below we launched from my front garden as the wind was blowing to the medow so we could get a safe recovery an had a brilliant time

Last edited:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HERE after about a dozen launcher our luck ran out as the wind got up an blew the bloomin rocket into the trees so to get it down we went out with airguns an shot it down from the trees but then that was the end of that rocket but made up others an flew them all through the summer an we had a great time an all our freinds came down to the lanches an we had BBQ an made a lovely evenins of doin this an the kids got really excited any way steven hope you like our times in this hobby as we all enjoyed it an thank you for allowin me to post the pics in your thread
chrisIMG_5791.JPG

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Hi Steven, great looking project you have.
Superb that the interactions in your Starbucks helped you along, would be pretty cool sight to see happening when one just entered to order coffee and sees a massive rocket being built:thumb2:

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI again Steven been looking through your build again an i wondered what size engine will she have if she's gonna fly will it be a D engine or some thing bigger as for us in the uk the D ENGINE was the biggest you could get but it only had about a 3 second burn time but still hit over a 1000 ft up as we were goin to buy some untill we found out the cost an we had to be carefull as we had RAF JAGUARS flyin over our heads at times an if they were about then no launches with our rockets
chris