1/48th Scale Saturn V

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Been following with interest Steven, what a build. Enjoyed the video you linked of the rocket take off, that was something else !
Pleasing to see that you have been welcomed in that Starbucks shop and how they interacted with you when you were ill. There are some good people around.
Keep it coming, stay well and safe.

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Been following with interest Steven, what a build. Enjoyed the video you linked of the rocket take off, that was something else !
Pleasing to see that you have been welcomed in that Starbucks shop and how they interacted with you when you were ill. There are some good people around.
Keep it coming, stay well and safe.

Thank you as well John. I think it would be a great idea for modelers to take advantage of similar scenarios. You don't even have to go solo as I've been doing. Some coffee shop, pastry shop even a pub might become a place. Take a group of modelers with you if one desires companionship and make a go of it. Don't be afraid. You will find another dimension to your interests when it becomes an 'in the flesh' event. To be able to step away from the ordinary is a thrill in and of itself. You also give these businesses a monetary exchange which helps them thrive. Once again, everyone wins.

I would love nothing better than to hear about modeler's exploits in a public arena. Maybe it could be seen as a New Years resolution. Go ahead, give it a try and tell us all about it. I think this has potential to really become something of a boon for modelers who see this as a dying art. Share it with folks. Give them the enthusiastic view you feel inside. Some WILL react in a similar manner. That's when you know you've got a potential fish on your line. Reel them in a gorge on their interest. Then throw them back with something to think about.

I'm going to go off on a bender here. Lee Iacocca was a savy business man. In the 60's, he was head of the design team at Ford Motor Company. He was responsible for the creation of two of Fords' most iconic vehicles. In the 60's, it was the Mustang. In the 70's, it was the Pinto. The Mustang was bred to give auto enthusiasts a powerful car. In the 70's, the Pinto came about as an economical answer to the gas crisis the US was suffering from. He later went to the Chrysler Corporation Division and saved Chrysler from pounding the final nail in their coffin. It was during the 80's I heard a quote from him that has stuck in my mind ever since. "Americans lose more money NOT by making a decision and it turning out to be wrong, but by never making a decision at all."
It is fear that paralyzes us. The fear of failure. It is understandable and natural. Don't let that fear stop you from becoming an ambassador to this hobby. Live with these words and watch your life, and the lives of others change. You won't regret it. There, soap box empty.

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
This is another video showing a group of students in the span of ten years after several failures to successfully launch an amateur rocket into space. The rocket went 340,000 ft. sending it past the Karman Line. Space is 62 miles up. This achieved an altitude two miles beyond that. To say these students experienced the setbacks, the drama, the trauma of failure and stuck to their main objective regardless is the stuff of brute determination. Identical to what professional space agencies experience. To have everything work together is a monumental undertaking. Even communication must be absolutely clear and understood by all. You will have a brief glimpse into what goes on here. This video can give us something of an understanding what goes through the minds of engineers who must work seamlessly together to achieve an overwhelming goal.
One may have an even deeper appreciation for what NASA had gone through in the 60's and 70's. Enjoy.

Last edited:

Andy the Sheep

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrea
This is another video showing a group of students in the span of ten years after several failures to successfully launch an amateur rocket into space. The rocket went 340,000 ft. sending it past the Karman Line. Space is 62 miles up. This achieved an altitude two miles beyond that. To say these students experienced the setbacks, the drama, the trauma of failure and stuck to their main objective regardless is the stuff of brute determination. Identical to what professional space agencies experience. To have everything work together is a monumental undertaking. Even communication must be absolutely clear and understood by all. You will have a brief glimpse into what goes on here. This video can give us something of an understanding what goes through the minds of engineers who must work seamlessly together to achieve an overwhelming goal.
One may have an even deeper appreciation for what NASA had gone through in the 60's and 70's. Enjoy.
Steven,
I don't know if something larger than a THANK YOU exists, but if it exists, that's for you! :thumb2:
Amazing and sometimes moving video.
Andrea

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
What a gripping video, some very clever youngsters who didn't give up.Well done to them .
Thanks for posting .Steven.

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Steven some very instresting pics of the CSM an i looked through all 74 pics an was amazed at the amount the amount of fittings on the command module an service module as never seen it so close an in such detail thank you for showin us this an hope you had a nice christmas an hope a better new yr be nice to see you back in starbucks
ATB chris an jen

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Thank you John and Christopher. Boy, I'd give anything to actually sit in my Starbucks with this project. I went there yesterday and got a mint mocha. I have never done the drive through, only going in to see everyone that's on shift. I seriously miss the therapeutic value I got from this yet I'm aware that it's not just me who has suffered. It's a strange world that took just a mere few months to transform the world of the past to the present one we reside in. I miss the up close, personal contact with excited, inquisitive people. As soon as the questions come, you just can't shut me up. At 61 I really have a deep reconnection to that which excited me as a kid.
There's much to be said when you can share something like this in a public arena which has been conducive to some very interesting conversation. A coffee shop is really a great place. I'm assuming it may take the better part of another year before things can begin the transition back. Well, we've lasted this long haven't we. The future is an odd thing timewise. On one hand it strikes us as being so far in the future where we become impatient. And then, just like that, it's here. Our sense of time is an extraordinarily interesting concept being somewhat polarized or paradoxical itself. Soon enough, we will have had a year of this behind us all.
When the time comes, I wholeheartedly request for your sake to indulge in similar paths to further your personal interests. You will do yourselves a tremendous favor and simultaneously inspire the younger generation by passing the torch. The internet has become an invaluable source for modelers today. I had taken to it with much hesitation and chagrin. It took quite some time for me to embrace the potential it possess. I have had my 'smart' phone for three years come January. I have taken the damn thing out of my house six times total. It sits typically in an uncharged state on my computer desk.
It's clear I have taken a liking to SOME technology. Fact is, I never needed a smartphone for decades. I've no reason to embrace it now. It was given to me as a gift. Yet there is advantage to technology and I decide where that is and then contemplate to what degree I use it. We all do. I now look back on my rambling and can't help but question whether it's due to a manic state. I also realize it's the best I can do when the need to relate to others a view or the sharing of information arises. A substitute has prevailed where one has been temporarily cancelled. This is still a therapeutic substitute for many as well. It's the best we have.

Last edited:

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Steven, while I admire your method of going into a public space and showing your build, I can't quite see the same reaction to a 1/35 diorama. That rocket is some size and it would soon attract attention.
Friends and family see my models and say " oh that nice " bit of a difference :smiling3: Don't think their ready for the details of the Battle of Kursk. !

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
W
Steven, while I admire your method of going into a public space and showing your build, I can't quite see the same reaction to a 1/35 diorama. That rocket is some size and it would soon attract attention.
Friends and family see my models and say " oh that nice " bit of a difference :smiling3: Don't think their ready for the details of the Battle of Kursk. !
When we were kids, it's all we had and it still got our peers attention. Create a group build 'club' and as a group you become more visible. I had already been receiving accolades as a ten year old from my age group. They in turn would request that I build one of their models. Don't sell yourself short. Remember, fear conquers progress, progress conquers fear.

StevenRB

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
This is a close up of the SM. It shows the EVA handles I'll be replicating. I've ordered these from Shapeways. Michael has made them a bit beefier to survive shipping. I'll remove the rails themselves using only the stand off supports. Then I'll substitute metal rods of the appropriate diameter.

Attachments

• CSM8_000.jpg4174856E-7937-46F5-9EBF-F16C1E5C4FB5DefaultHQ-33.jpg
    CSM8_000.jpg4174856E-7937-46F5-9EBF-F16C1E5C4FB5DefaultHQ-33.jpg
    72.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0001 (5).JPG
    IMG_0001 (5).JPG
    121.7 KB · Views: 7

JR

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ok thanks Steven , don't think were going any-ware at the moment other than the cave. :smiling3: