1/5 scale nieuport 11 with working cockpit

M

mcguyver

howdy, as i am new to model building ( less than a year) and this being my 3rd build( 2 shorts before this )i'd like to post some pics of the build and i'm just learning how to start a build on a thread my next one will be more informative. this is a 1/5 nieuport 11 with a fully working cockpit right down to the throttle. the servo's control the stick, rudderboard etc. and inturn they control the control surfaces. most every thing you see with the exception of one brass instrument housing was fabricated from alum. and brass tube, lithoplate, aluminum sheet and 1/64, 1/32 ply. i used no special tools like milling machines, lathes etc. just a dremal, exacto, razor saw and sandpaper unfortunatly i don't even own a set of files. all the leather work is done in black and natural. anyway here are a bunch of pics and this is also a russian version of the N-11. P.S. i'm working on the upper and lower wings and then maybe i'll be finished with the exception of a bunch of weathering.

View attachment 16543

View attachment 16544

View attachment 16545

View attachment 16546

View attachment 16547

View attachment 16548

View attachment 16549

View attachment 16550

View attachment 16551

View attachment 16552

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

Last edited:
M

mcguyver

last of the pics. i wiil post some more when its finished. if you need to know how and what tecniques i used on somthing just ask and i will be as informative as possible. next build will be play by play as it should be from beginning to end. BTW next build is a 1/8 fokker dr1 museum quality and every thing works and will fly like this one only even better. i say better because hopefully you learn a couple of things as you go along.

View attachment 16573

View attachment 16574

View attachment 16575

View attachment 16576

View attachment 16577

View attachment 16578

View attachment 16579

View attachment 16580

View attachment 16581

View attachment 16582

36.jpg

37.jpg

38.jpg

39.jpg

40.jpg

41.jpg

42.jpg

44.jpg

45.jpg

48.jpg

First Name
Grahame
What a fabulous example of scale modelling at its’ best!

Hopefully a full build thread will be forthcoming for your next project, I can’t wait.

A

alan2525

Fantastic quality work there! You say you are new to modelling - only a year but you must be pretty practical! I think it's about time you treated yourself to a decent set of files though!

M

mcguyver

thanks for the compliment,actually my wife suggested i get a hobby about a year ago and since i started ive got nothing but good words on my work so i must be doing somthing right. i love this hobby, there's something about fabricating parts and details items out of raw stock that gives me an enormous amount of satisfaction and the harder it is the more satisfaction i get especially when i can say " looks pretty good" i'm my own worst critic you know.maybe someday i'll be as good as you, that's alot catching up to do.

rob

M

mcguyver

how to make scale hardware

i thought i would post some tecniques i use to fabricate all that alum. hardware you see. today i'm working onthe wing struts. first i scanned the full size strut into my computer. i have adobe but prefer coral draw. once thats scanned in i scan my reference drawing in so i can have it next to the scan of the struts. if your plans our accurate from a kit or scratch the parts should fit like a glove because all your doing is drawing a part over the scanned image.first i take my bezier tool and just connect the dots (nodes) around the strut bottom for the first fitting. after its basically outlined i convert all the nodes to curves this way i can take all the handels on the nodes and manipulate them until i have the right curves. once i have them all drawn i delete the scans and make multiple images on a sheet of paper that way i have plenty of templates in case somthing goes wrong.

View attachment 16599

View attachment 16600

View attachment 16601

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

M

mcguyver

next i cut out 2 of the images a left and a right(if you have dual sided stock it wont matter. use an exacto the cleaner it is the better. i take some card stock and lay it down and then figure out how much space i'm going to need between the two images. 1/8 inch seems good. your compensating for the curve in the front and the rear of the strut remember when i drew it it was just flat so actually your just drawing the face and the card stock will make up the rest of the fitting. those two paper templates get turned over and sprayed with a little tack then you place them on the card stock front of one facing the front of the other with 1/8 in in between. nextxt grab your exacto and cut the image out as a whole and theres your template. it really doesn't take long at all.

View attachment 16602

View attachment 16603

View attachment 16604

View attachment 16605

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

M

mcguyver

i lightly tack the back of the template and then press it down on my lithoplate. i then take an exacto blade and score around the piece twice and then i mark the holes with a sharp awl. next i remove the template and discard it. once i break the part free of the suround by gently rocking the straight edges first and then the curves. i use flat needle nose for this operation.i then sand the edges of the part with 400 grit sandpaper smoothing out any imperfections and burrs. then i drill the holes for the screws or rivets whatever you choose to use after the holes are drilled i lay it down face up and sandleft to right and then a little fine steel wool and youv'e got your finish. tommorow i'll post pics of the strut with all 3 locations attached. when you bend the litho part around the strut you want to make surethat you are lined up and centered. BTW i forgot to mention that this first lithoplate part will become the template for the next one, so don't bend it until you have your other parts scored on lithoplate. now you can bend it around the strut.

View attachment 16609

View attachment 16610

View attachment 16611

View attachment 16612

View attachment 16613

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

Last edited:
First Name
Grahame
Excellent work; don't you just love litho plate!

Last edited by a moderator:
M

mcguyver

i sure do. i find the sheet stock you buy online or in a hobby shop a little thick and it seems to have a different composition than litho. i'm all stocked up for awhile i have about 25 sheets 32" x 24" it only cost me 5.00 . i am a printer by trade one of my many professions. i have noticed that lithoplate seems to seperate easier after its scored where sheet stock is a lot less maluable.

Last edited:

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
You are a natural and very talented builder Macguyver,thank you for showing us your splendid workmanship,the Nieuport looks superb.

M

mcguyver

nieuport 11

i finally finished the plane. it came in at 8lbs 5oz and the cg was off buy 10 grams give or take and i plan to maiden this weekend.here are some basement pics of the finished plane. BTW somebody up there likes me, ive read all the horror stories about detail and CG and my nieuport almost balanced perfectly and i thought it was going to be my turn to start adding weight and stripping detail. i really think it has a lot to do with the plane being electric. all the weight , motor, batterys, sevos, electronics are attached to either side of the firewall. i really did put alot of care and thought into the weight issue and i want to thank every one for there support and comments.

View attachment 16756

View attachment 16757

View attachment 16758

View attachment 16759

View attachment 16760

View attachment 16761

View attachment 16762

View attachment 16763

View attachment 16764

View attachment 16765

View attachment 16766

View attachment 16767

View attachment 16768

View attachment 16769

View attachment 16770

View attachment 16771

View attachment 16773

View attachment 16774

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

IM001783.jpg

IM001784.jpg

Last edited:
K

kyzclam

Hello, I'm the newest memeber, kyzclam. Nieuport 11 fan. Great work mcguyver!How do I get factory drawings of a WWI Nieuport 11?I know there's a 3D model already done and would sincerely love to do something similar on AutoCAD full scale.Really, fantastic workmanship.