1/700 scale IJN Ships make over

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve, I never knew how close these ships I had as a model were to our shores. We weren't a nation yet and one of the largest fleets was operating in our waters. U-Boats actually berthed at the Swettenham Pier in Penang, one of the main Japanese submarine bases. Japanese subs like the I-16 and her sister ship prepared from here for the Madagascar operation. Here's my build...don't know if I had posted the WIP here.

45.jpg46.jpg
In hindsight I should have used the hand drill for more precession of the portholes on the Hatsuyuki.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Paul, thanks. At this scale I would leave them as is but the real ones have three options to open fully or to close with glass window or the metal hatch.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Gary
Another Malaysian link Richard. I supplied and stayed at Pangkor Lau when it was and still is an, exclusive luxury island owned by the same guy who owned the Orient Express. They put me up in one luxury villa and my business partner in another, for free for a week, twice. We supplied them with quality outdoors loungers and tables. Nice customer. However on the other side of the island was the spot, Emerald Bay, where Colonel Freddy Chapman a Commando was rescued by a submarine, HMS Statesman. There's a very nice plaque and tribute to his bravery there as he fought in the Malayan jungle for over 3 years. Although a different country your sub reminded me of that. Lovely build and dio

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Richard

This was already a great little dio before the updates but now it is just superb. The sea color in your submarine dio is just perfect. On the subject of Malaysia I have some very fond memories of Kuatan if that is the right spelling. We used to go there for the odd weekend break when I was living in Singapore.

JOhn

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Just had read through, looking good Richard.
Plenty of interesting history and some great photos .:thumb2:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thank you gentlemen.
Another Malaysian link Richard. I supplied and stayed at Pangkor Lau when it was and still is an, exclusive luxury island owned by the same guy who owned the Orient Express. They put me up in one luxury villa and my business partner in another, for free for a week, twice. We supplied them with quality outdoors loungers and tables. Nice customer. However on the other side of the island was the spot, Emerald Bay, where Colonel Freddy Chapman a Commando was rescued by a submarine, HMS Statesman. There's a very nice plaque and tribute to his bravery there as he fought in the Malayan jungle for over 3 years. Although a different country your sub reminded me of that. Lovely build and dio
Gary, lucky you, I honeymooned on Pangkor Island way before YTL developed Pangkor Laut island. I think this same company has something to do with Battersea in London. Chapman is famous for the book The Jungle is Neutral and according to my Dad quite an authentic account of our jungle and interesting account of survival and guerilla warfare. Thanks for sharing that.
Richard

This was already a great little dio before the updates but now it is just superb. The sea color in your submarine dio is just perfect. On the subject of Malaysia I have some very fond memories of Kuatan if that is the right spelling. We used to go there for the odd weekend break when I was living in Singapore.

JOhn
John, pure luck, :smiling2: the colour of the water was sprayed at an angle so you get the pattern of the waves made with plaster. I should add white glue and stipple with a brush for more scaled wave crests. Surprised many from the forum have been to Malaysia. You nearly got it right, its Kuantan and is still a nice idyllic place to visit. Beaches up north of the town like Cherating are nice with fishing villages along the way. There is a surf spot after Cherating that an Australian Avid Editor whose a keen surfer told me about when I asked him why he had a surf board in the editing suite and loads of magazines on surfing. Singapore now has a man-made beach on Sentosa island.

Just had read through, looking good Richard.
Plenty of interesting history and some great photos .:thumb2:
Dijon, the history is what intrigues me but none of it is taught indepth enough of the war and tourist spots of battles not made accessible and the veterans are aging that we may loose some great stories. I never could remember dates and our curriculum was just based on remembering and not understanding...sad. I'm starting to like history when it's a subject I can choose to research.
Thanks for going through the thread and glad you like the photos.

If I can wrangle my way out of doing the cooking tonight I might just get some bench action. :hungry:

Cheers,
Richard

Reactions: JR

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I had some bench time finally and decided to tackle the trai track in the harbour...

Using a divider I traced the paths of the rails and cut thin strips 0.01 plastic strips as sleepers and laid them down with white glue. This was painstakingly eye straining...

47.jpg

Then I stretched sprue from leftover Airfix sprues...incidentally one of the best for stretching for the rails. These were attached with super glue as I wanted them tacked down instantly as I went.

48.jpg

Just two more tracks to go. I will add the buffer stops at the end of the three straight tracks.

I know that most harbour rails don't have sleepers and have the rails embedded but I just wanted to torture myself. :tears-of-joy:

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Brilliant work Richard and a very informative read. Thanks for taking the time to write it all up.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Gary and Peter, from this top angle the roofs of the warehouse needs definition for the zinc sheets and weathering. Editing I can but for a full write up I needed help from some reference material. Glad you guys are liking it.
If you have been following from the beginning you'll notice that my passion is for dios that are done at a very slow pace. When I get the inspiration which comes in spurts then you'll see significant progress or else it'll be put in the back burner for the next spurt.
The title says a make over but actually its a continuation of an unfinished project. It can be annoying for those following and am grateful some still do and remember it.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Paul, on a roll now but it's near bed time and need to rest my eyes.

Cheers,
Richard

Road of Bones

Cat slave
SMF Supporter
First Name
Alistair
Hi Richard- what a thoroughly entertaining and informative build! You really like to make a rod (or rail) for your own back though, don’t you? :tears-of-joy:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi all, thanks for the kind comments.

Jim, a microscope is what I really need at times. Staying home is the best remedy for being safe. Thanks

Paul, a bit further down the scale of your choice I presume. The figures will be the one I'm looking forward to. Got to work out what they're gonna do.

Alistair, nothing like breaking my back if the results turn out okay. :smiling2:

Got some PE railings and stairs onto the wharf...

52.jpg

Joining the ends of the railings to the stairs handrails was a challenge...

53.jpg

Another handrail challenge. I had to cut into the harbour side to create the slope for the perforated steel sheet which I scribed to the gangway. Superglue was spread over the cutout to flatten the cardboard fibres. I think I'll be adding safety railings on both sides.

54.jpg

Off to feed and play with the new kitten we found.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks so much Ralf, it's nice to hear coming from someone who knows 1/700 and has a fleet of his own.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Rail Buffer stops done...

55.jpg

This was what I was starting to see and needed to rest my eyes. :smiling6:

56.jpg

I'll switch to the Hatsuyuki next...

Cheers,