1/700 scale IJN Ships make over

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Can't believe how you manage all that detail Richard my fingers would damage most of it, even with tweezers in trying to handle parts that small . Most impressive.

First Name
Wouter
Hi Richard, just read through the whole thread and my goodness, what a piece of work! Nice extra detailing going on here. And in between some very informative history lessons. One gotta love IJN stuff eh. Looking at your dio in progress and the fact that you live in Asia: were you ever lucky to see the work of Won Hui Lee and Hyun Soo Kim in the flesh? (I might have asked that in the past but my brain isnt what it used to be ).
Anyway, looking forward to seethe next installment of "rtfoe madness" ^^

Cheers

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Richard - I am shocked to find that you have not thinned the catapult plane wings to scale or drilled out the gun barrels :surprised:

:smiling5:;)

Love the little train

I tried a 1:350 floaty a few years ago but quickly lost interest - didn't float my boat :smiling5:

Hard to imagine these are half the size :surprised:

Will you be populating the dio with a good selection of those tiny persons?

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for commenting in guys,

John R, you should've seen the many times I pinged the etch and knocked over the masts. I have found stuff on the floor I've never seen in ages. :tears-of-joy:

Wouter, I'm not able to measure up to those guys as they have mastered the use of resin and cotton wool for motion effects. Yes I have seen their work up close. In 2018 we asked Won to explain how he did his exploding U-Boat and in 2019 watched from behind Hyun's demo at the show in Penang. Here are some images of us interrogating Won with Hyun Jin Kim of Def Models as the interpreter.

25.jpg27.jpg
I'm squating second from bottom next to Hyun...Won is next to Hyun in a black T.

Simon, didn't you see the navigator eating his packet of sushi in the back seat? :tears-of-joy: I have engaged the services of Liliputians to pose in Japanese costumes when the time comes. The 1/700 scale figures will be much easier to paint as there isn't much detail...just flesh, white and black and of course in this scale there are lesser parts than 1/350.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
I'm jealous, really trying to get to find more tips from these guys but it's hard. Recently bought a mag with an article from Won, I found a Youtube video where he explains a little and his blog on Naver is gold as well, what a bless the internet can translate Korean webpages these days, though it isn't perfect :D

Soo is even harder to find how he does it. That exploding sub is just crazy...if I recall correctly it's his third version, previous where trial and error.

Thanks for that link btw, that's bookmarked now ^^

about painting 1/700 figures: Marijn Van Gils has an interesting way of painting them and giving them a shape. He explained that in his Lexington book if you haven't already seen that.

Cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Don't be jealous Wouter, there are some good ship modelers in your parts too which I'd like to meet. I got into 1/700 because of an article of an Italian modeler who showcased his carriers dios in the Fine Scale Modeler magazine with so much life on the deck. In that exploding sub dio, Won did the pouring of the resin in one go in the dead of winter to lessen the heat and bubbling.

Marijn Van Gils Lexington is out of this world. The figures alone would take me a liftime to paint and pose. I think I have an article on it in one of my books.

I follow Jeff Lin's builds. He concentrates on the ship itself and pours lots of detail on it and is very neat.

Cheers,
Richard

Last edited:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Richard,
Great work I have the greatest admiration for ship modellers given the detail and size of the builds.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I removed the turret to get a better look of the floatplane. Oops, the navigator just stepped out to the loo...the salmon sushi must have been off. I replaced the wing and float struts with left over PE railing. At the front of the plane is another PE trolley.

156.jpg

Am not too happy with the bed rolls and may take some off. I will add rope and dangle them.

155.jpg

I'm still chugging along. Simon, I may start on painting the trains.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hey thanks Scottie...me too. It helps when the tooling of the mold is crisp and detailed.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Brilliant work as always. Have you seen THIS. In my few attempts at 1/700 ships I have found it very helpful.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, no I have not but it looks good. I have the Finescale on ship modelling as that covers everything from wood and plastic sailing ships to resin and modern plastic to the latest with PE. Its a bit like the Shep Paine books that show old school techiques and new stuff.

Cheers,
Richard

First Name
Wouter
Hi Richard, to me the bedrolls look good (never read anyone call them that way :smiling2:). Looking forward to see you tackle the rigging in a while. I did a testcase with the finest wire from Ushi van der Rosten and man that wire is so thin you can barely see it. It was much easier than I thought, though I haven't found out how to trim the ends. We'll see how that goes ^^. Looking forward to see the little choo choo being painted as well (you brave man :D )

Cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Wouter, they are actually rolled up thin mattresses that the Japanese sleep on the tatami mats. They still do in congested Tokyo homes where they are folded away iinto cupboards and the room could be converted to either a living or dining room.
If you watch Tora Tora Tora, they have great scenes of the Akagi bridge festooned with these bedrolls.:smiling2:
Looking forward to see your testcase on the rigging.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Boy oh boy you learn a lot reading your blog. I have a lot of searching to do on the tinternet to find all this wonderful floaty stuff. Thanks for all the info guys

First Name
Wouter
If you watch Tora Tora Tora, they have great scenes of the Akagi bridge festooned with these bedrolls.:smiling2:
Looking forward to see your testcase on the rigging.

Cheers,
Richard
Tora Tora Tora is still one of my favourite Pacific Theatre films. From the days when they knew how to make proper war films. So much better than that recent dreadful Midway debacle :smiling2:. Never realized they were actually tatami matts.

Cheers

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys,

Steve, you could try this or this one if you like floaty things.

Wouter, even the older Midway version was better although they borrowed some scenes from Tora. Tatami mats are actually the flooring in Japanese traditional home rooms. The hallways are polished wood and the rooms are separated with wood and paper. The bedrolls are thin mattresses stuffed with natural fibres or cotton. They are quite tough when compacted.

Cheers,
Richard

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
On the subject of bedding rolls on ships, the Royal Navy(and presumably other navies)of the 18th &19th century had wire netting racks above decks for rolled up hammocks which provided rudimentary protection from flying splinters.
cheers
Patrick O'Brian

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
On the subject of bedding rolls on ships, the Royal Navy(and presumably other navies)of the 18th &19th century had wire netting racks above decks for rolled up hammocks which provided rudimentary protection from flying splinters.
cheers
Patrick O'Brian

Neil, looks like the Imperial Japanese Navy just carried on the practise and improved on it. Seem to only notice only the IJN doing this in WW2. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys sorry no trains yet but some updates on the ships...

Good thing I left the superstructure unglued. I made some alterations to the bedrolls as I wasn't satisfied with the first application...

157.jpg158.jpg

The Hatsuyuki gun tubs were also re enforced with the bedrolls as well. These were the mid raised gun tubs.

159.jpg

Besides that the torpedo tubes recieved their white markings...

160.jpg

I corrected the sag of the crane rigging on the Haruna flight deck and also added the long missing rigging for the Kuma so now no one needs to ask how the crane worked without the cables.

161.jpg162.jpg

The Kuma also recieved foul weather white canvas coverings on some of the railings. The torpedo tubes also got their markings. This area looks a bit too tidy and needs ropes and stuff lying around.

163.jpg

The bridge front got the customary batch of bedrolls. I will be checking if the bridge roof was permanent or stretched canvas as I can recall Kuma had an open bridge in her early days.

164.jpg

I painted the gun breeches black and will dry brush with graphite. Thanks for looking in.

Cheers,
Richard