First Name
Steve
Ditto. Well worth the extra effort. Thanks for the links. They are very helpful

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Wouter and Steve,
With all this time now I can look at the builds differently and make the corrections and work on the little stuff. Glad to have helped with the links. Would like to see more ships done here as !/700 is starting to pick up. Brands like Fujimi and Hasegawa are upping the level and churning some really good kits. Unfortunately you only see them marketed in Japan. We do get them here as one LHS brings them in. We even have HMS Hermes in early and late variants. Then you have from Trumpeter the Queen Elizabeth class battle ships in early and late configurations. Basically spoilt for choice and for me opening a can of worms...how am I to concentrate on the other genres that I like. :confounded::smiling6:

Cheers,
Richard

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
HI Richard ive only just got round to lookin through your thread an im amazed at your build dio an how you build such small ships really brilliant you are a true moddeler
chris

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Chris for the kind comment and so are you as we both build at the two separate ends of scale. Mine though is glued down and don't move which is less of a headache but does strain the eyes. :smiling2:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, took myself away from the monotenous gluing and highlighted the row of rail cars, engine and trucks with a spray of white. This will help me see details to paint.

View attachment 388499

For those who have just come into the thread, the above will be featured on the harbour dock side in the diorama.

Cheers,
Richard
Hi Guys, I know it's been nearly 2 years since I touched this dio. Even sadder is that the late Simon was waiting for the above train to be painted. Well today while pondering the USS Constipation, North Africa dio, Malayan Emergency and its monkeys, I decided to destroy my eyes and paint the train and trucks. These are 1/700 if you guys remember. Took me 3 hours and I haven't gotten to the wheels but here's the progress shots...

165.jpg166.jpg167.jpg

Ow!! My eyes...need a rest before more detail clean up. Hope it was worth the wait.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Niiiiiiiiiice Richard!! Love the train.....can't wait to see it in "operation"!! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out: :smiling5: ;):thumb2::thumb2:......just tell me where you keep your magic wand!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Niiiiiiiiiice Richard!! Love the train.....can't wait to see it in "operation"!! :tongue-out3: :tongue-out: :smiling5: ;):thumb2::thumb2:......just tell me where you keep your magic wand!
No magic wand Rick but some have said I keep a shrinking ray gun and use it regularly.:smiling2:

I wasn't happy with the dark tones to the wharf surface and painted the individual concrete slabs in lighter shades...I'm halfway done so you can see here in the first photo the dark surface and half of the painted slabs in the other.

168.jpg169.jpg

Looking at adding trees just behind the left gun tower.

Cheers,
Richard

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Scottie has "nailed" it...........defo the "Dog's"!!

JayCee

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hi Richard, back to your epic harbour scene. Will follow avidly.
John.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Richard, back to your epic harbour scene. Will follow avidly.
John.
Thanks John, good to have you along. I will be doing bits on the wharf before I tackle the ship rigging for 5 main ships and a few auxiliary vessels...not including the figures which I'm also gathering. Looking at adding some Japanese sailing junks and fishing trawlers just like the scene in the first Midway movie. These may need to be scratched.

Cheers,
Richard