1/700 scale IJN Ships make over

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steven...so far the mojo is still strong. :smiling2:

Japanese decks were sometimes covered in linoleum and held down with strips of either steel or brass...not sure but I have seen Japanese modelers paint these strips in brass. To create the strips I just score lines with a blade...

57.jpg58.jpg

Then I proceeded to add PE rails to the upper structures

59.jpg

Yikes!...the close up show very rough PE application...time to open a new bottle of super glue as it's taking too long to stick...

60.jpg

That's it for now...only had a few hours of bench time.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Back to the harbour for a change of mojo...

I've always wanted to weather the roof of the warehouses but didn't get to it until now. I started with masking...

61.jpg

Mixed up some Valejo Khaki, Surface Primer, Refractive Green, Black and Bright Orange. The foreground of the first two roofs is near complete. I found that masking was not really necessary so I won't use that on the other two roofs. I will add more highlights and vary each roof shades.

62.jpg

I have yet to slice off the gun platform and replace with a PE tower then along the ridge I will add some greenery. Lucky for me I hadn't stuck the harbour structure anticipating to work on it at some time.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi guys,
Here's an update on the roof painting. I sat myself down for the next session which took a couple of hours and finally finished the roof on the other two warehouses.

63.jpg

I used the same set of paints but used a more neutral gray to get the zinc hue. The windows to the warehouse have a light framework that a little dry brushing might just pick up its detal then I'll work on the walls with shades and highlights....Compare this to this...

48.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

D

Deleted member 6559

Just stunning work - you the man.

Last edited by a moderator:

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Peter, I hope you're doing fine.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
I do enjoy seeing your updates Richard. Such wonderful work on such a small scale. Keep it coming my friend

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Steve...am glad you're enjoying as much as I'm straining my eyes. :smiling6:

Here are some more updates I did today in between babysitting the new kitten. She uses my leg as a scratching board...ouch.

Firstly I did some forced highlight painting to the crane house roof. From a distance at this scale it looks like there are grooves. I did do a cut in the center with a blade and dropped a dark wash.

64.jpg

I gave the cabin a dry brush and stippling to get some variation to the walls. Will touch up the windows...

65.jpg

The warehouse walls after getting weathered. The raised detail on the windows were too shallow to pick up the dry brushing so I will need to paint them in.

66.jpg

Looking at some pictures of modern day Kure, there was an old wharf with rail lines in the middle so I scribed my wharf and will be gluing a thin plastic strip on either side of the groove for rails. I've put one of the rail cars for scale.

67.jpg

Thanks for looking in guys.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jack...there's lots you can get away with in this scale. ;)

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No build for today I'm afraid. Am making a batch of stuffing...in April can you beat that. SWMBO thought by freezing it we can now and then heat up as comfort food. The family recipe is to have the ingredience prepared separately then mixed and not be stuffed so its not meshy ala fried rice western style. Goes well with coleslaw, corn, petipoi peas and roastbeef...all can be stored in the freezer to and micro'd.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Your imagination is running wild on this build Richard. Another terrific update. Wonderful work

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks for dropping by again Steve. With this covid thingy there is so much time in hand so the mind wonders and you see so much that can be added without a deadline looming.

I am now tackling the rail line and will secure the locomotive and cars for painting. It seem I'm neglecting the ships...it's the rigging and PE that's keeping me at bay for a while. :smiling2: Don't have rigging reference only photos and they seem all over the place.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Wonderful attention to detail. More so given the scale. The forced highlight painting on the crane house roof is something I've not heard of but it certainly works really well.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Jim, you may have well done it without knowing. Forced highlight painting comes in different forms. Dry brushing is one of them, washes too including panel lines and modulation. Painting with a brush forced lighting is done often now in figure painting. Fantasy figures usually get this treatment which is similar to comics artworks with shadows and blue or yellow lighting reflecting on half the face or surface.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
It's been a while since my last update...well I've been adding the rails to the wharf and also a ladder...

68.jpg69.jpg

I've also added a level crossing across the tracks. It'll get some paint later...

70.jpg

Got PE folded for one of the anti-aircraft towers then made the scaffolding for the stairs leading to the tower on the hill.

71.jpg

That's all for now...it was only a very short bench time that I had.

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Richard, I am so sorry I totally missed this. I can only say that you have gone mad to be working on such tiny and I mean tiny things! The detail you have achieved in this scale is incredible to say the least!!!

You have to give me the name of your Optometrist so I can make an appointment with him………..

Bleib Gesund
Allen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No worries Allen, this dio has been around for many years. It pops up now and then when I tinker with 1/700 stuff. I just found two boxes of Tom's Modelworks PE for quite a few of my ships. That actually triggered the sudden build here. Actually the lesser the scale the lesser the detail scrutiny. The fun part is trying to create details you would find in 1/35 for this scale. I haven't visited my Optometrist for the last 5 years and it's about time I should as everything is getting wonky. :smiling2:

Here are some updates to the anti-aircraft towers...

72.jpg

The stairs and scaffolding platform is a combination of plastic strip and rod with PE...nothing specific, just extra PE from ships.

73.jpg
74.jpg

The gun tub in the tower is a Pit-Road accessory with tread flooring molded on. The hill side will need bushes and tall grass.

75.jpg

This is the other tower with 20mm guns. I will probably surround the base with sandbags and crates.

76.jpg

Again very little bench time today. Thanks for watching.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Come on Come on... do the locomotion with me... have set them onto sponge double sided tape. Some of the carriages recieved stowage from plastic strip and gravel from Magic sculpt.

77.jpg

15 mins later they're covered with Nato black...

78.jpg

Another half hour spent highlighting the wharf planking with Khaki mixed with white and using the airbrush creating streaks along the sides to break the flat tone of the sides.

79.jpg

Putting the airbrush away, I will apply a dirty wash and pick out details of rust and green with a sharp pointed brush.

Ok sleepy time.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Wonderful stuff. It is quite an eye opener to see the wharf on the paint bottle - it is so TINY!!
Jim