1/700 scale IJN Ships make over

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi,
I got a little ahead of myself and glued Dave onto the catapult. I was so excited about Kuma finally having its aircraft on board so now I have to add the decals in situ....:confounded:

135.jpg136.jpg137.jpg

Decals have a slight silvering even after administering decal solution which I can touch up with paint.

138.jpg

I will make a note that grease stains to be added to the run of the catapult when I weather.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, I just remembered that I can use cellulose thinner to rid of the silvering. This only works with tiny decals as it dissolves the paint underneath the transfer and blends. Will try that approach.

Cheers,

• Wow
Reactions: JR

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Wow Richard,

I have been silently following along and you haven't disappointed at all. I just can't believe how small this whole shebang is. The floatplane is what, a pair millimeter's big??? Drive on brother!!! I'm going blind watching you...………...…………...

Prost and Bleib Gesund
Allen

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
That makes two of us Allen. :tears-of-joy: The fact I'm still driving this is because I have found a liking for actual miniatures. I remember trying to carve polystyrene ships this scale and failing miserably with the details so this is refreshing.

Cheers,
Richard

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Ah! My weekly fix of all things miniature that float. Not this time though as we have a wingy thing. Luv it too bits LOL

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hiya Steve, sorry to dissappoint with a wingy instead of a floaty. :smiling6: At times I'm not sure I'm in the right place, the theme is ships but it's in a dio which has trains, buildings, trucks, artillery, planes and the occasional ship or two. :smiling2:
Been busy revisiting the West Wing on TV so not very productive. Will be resuming soon.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Andy, it's your kind of thing...smaller than 1/72. :smiling4:

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, in between episodes of WestWing I wriggled more threads of putty and cut them to size for the anti-splinter bed rolls.

139.jpg

Then I dusted off the Haruna and prepared to mount her onto one of the box covers I had for easy handling...

141.jpg142.jpg

While I waited for the putty to cure I put together a PE crane. The cables and hook aren't painted yet.

144.jpg

The bed rolls application commences...

143.jpg

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
Really impressive stuff. This is coming on a treat.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Jim, too bad I don't have any WIP of the Haruna as I built this in 2003 way before I joined any forum and never took any photographs. This was when I had more patience and actually cut the slats for the windows of the bridge and look out floors and replaced with PE. Fujimi at the time only gave decals for it and it didn't look good. There are 3 levels of it.

The Japanese had the habit of very high pagoda like structures I presume to sight the enemy first from the multiple lookouts and large binoculars.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi, took myself away from the monotenous gluing and highlighted the row of rail cars, engine and trucks with a spray of white. This will help me see details to paint.

140.jpg

For those who have just come into the thread, the above will be featured on the harbour dock side in the diorama.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Hi Guys, since Haruna has never been featured here as a WIP, I could tell you a bit more about what went into building it...

The kit is the old Fujimi IJN Kongo kit labelled under SeaWay Models and is pretty basic with not much detail. It has extra fittings to make the Haruna as all four sisterships nearly had the same hull but differed in the super structure and rear structures. The funnels were slightly different with each ship, Haruna having her aft funnel raised level with the front one.

145.jpg

The turrets and guns were replaced with upgrade sets from Skywaves 3 sets of accessories for heavy, medium and light IJN vessels.

146.jpg

The triple AA guns were also from Skywave and so were the searchlights and range finders.

148.jpg

Fujimi provided decals/stickers for the bridge windows. I cut out slots and replaced with PE.

147.jpg

There were three levels on the pagoda style super structure and the back support was drilled out. Missing portholes also were drilled out.

149.jpg

Actually nearly all weapons including the side casemates and boats were replaced with Skywave accessories

153.jpg

The anti-magnetic wiring along the side was thin stretched sprue and cut plastic strip spacers. You will notice I have moved the planes around so it doesn't obstruct the stairway detail leading from the seaplane deck to the main aft deck.

151.jpg

I re-worked the solid side of the seaplane deck by replacing the whole section with plastic card and strip for the covered work stations below it with windows and supports.

152.jpg

The crane base wall was lengthened so it sat in a covered groove. The PE for all fittings are from Goldmedal.

150.jpg

The other feature that set Haruna apart from her sister ships was the squared aft deck structure that housed a huge array of AA gun tubs that are raised and envelope the aft funnel.
Rigging this ship will be a nightmare...these were ships built in the first world war and carried lots of rigging.

That's the tour of the Haruna. If you do want Kongo class battleship, get the latest new tooled Fujimi or Hasegawa kits.

Cheers,
Richard

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Richard
A most enjoyable tour. Wonderful work. To add/improve detail at this scale is remarkable.
Jim

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
No problem Steve, glad you liked the walkabout.

And you too Jim, thanks.

Cheers,
Richard