1:700 WW1 Destroyers

First Name
Andrew
These are two destroyers that my Great Uncle served on during the Great War. He died on board Redgauntlet in October 1918 of Spanish Flu. (The flu epidemic killed more than the war did!)
I scratchbuilt them from polyurethane with custom drawn etchings. The figures are only a couple of mm's tall.

435939[1].jpg

435940[1].jpg

435941[1].jpg

The 'water' is made from plaster poured onto scrunched aluminium foil and then given lots of layers of lacquer.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Superb builds Andrew. The plaques are a nice idea, showing your connection with the ships. A sad story re the flu though.

S

Stevekir

Very handsome models. Thanks for the tip on making "water".

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Andy
A couple of lovely models. A great tribute to your Great Uncle. Not heard of that method for modelling water.
Jim

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Excellent Andy :thumb2:

Having the facilities for making your own etch is a real bonus - the railings and little figures are great

S

Stevekir

Excellent Andy :thumb2:

Having the facilities for making your own etch is a real bonus - the railings and little figures are great
I did some etching about 30 years ago and it was very successful for railway modelling. One item was the curly cast iron ends to a railway station platform bench. At 1/72 scale it was just over half an inch in height. I found somewhere a graphic design and photographed it on to 35 mm transparent photographic film. That produced a black and white slide at the right scale. Next, a thin copper sheet was painted with a resist which when illuminated by light turned opaque. I fixed the slide on it and exposed the copper to light. The opaque parts were a copy of the item. The copper sheet was then put into a bath of ferric chloride:

(http://darrantchemicals.co.uk/ferri...MIobDJ3v282wIVF40bCh2OVQPVEAQYBSABEgKJ5fD_BwE)

After several minutes the parts of the film that were clear had been eaten through, leaving the item. The following site gives full details, using a PCB as an example but bench ends etc. are done the same way. It seems complex but it is doable.

http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-PCB-using-Liquid-Photoresist/

D

Dave B.S.

Exquisite work , your Great Uncle would be as proud of you as you obviously are of him, Well Done Sir!

Steven000

WWII and nuts.
SMF Supporter
First Name
Steven
Beautiful work Andrew :thumb2:
It's a nice tribute to you uncle indeed.
Kind regards, Steven

First Name
Andrew
It’s actually 100 years ago on Thursday when Christian died from pneumonia aboard HMS Redgauntlet. He’d been in the Navy since 1905 and survived 4 years of war, only to be killed by Spanish Flu, so near to the end of conflict. The flu epidemic killed more people than WW1 did!
Thanks guys.

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Stunning Andy and a fitting tribute.:thumb2::thumb2::thumb2:
John.