1/72 Airfix Spitfire 1a

B

Bunkerbarge

What cracking pictures to generate a bit of enthusiasm for a Spitfire build! There's a great diorama in each shot!

B

Bari

Hi, back again, I have started to build only to find that over the years my fingers seem to have gotten rather large and clumsy. I built the cockpit detail which consisted of a rear frame to hang the seat on, a floor with the rudder pedals and a front frame with the instrument panel/gunsight I painted it up and then forgot to take a photo before I enclosed it in the fuselage. I found the fuselage sides to be slightly different sizes so have a bit of filing to do also some of the locating pins were slightly out of sync so had to chop them off. added the wings and tail next. The lower wing/fuselage almost fitted just a couple of small gaps to fill in but the upper wing panels were a bit out, again the locating pins were just out of sync and the starboard wing has a rather unsightly gap at the root also both wing root trailing edges are a bit out. To make up for that the tailplane and rudder fitted perfectly. Have taken a few more photos some of which are nearly in focus.

View attachment 27175

View attachment 27176

View attachment 27177

View attachment 27178

IMG_0098.jpg

IMG_0096.jpg

IMG_0092.jpg

IMG_0100.jpg

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Bar

Great progress so far .It's frustrating that the kit has some fit issues, but you seem to be coping with them well. Bet you're looking forward to getting some camouflage on the bird now, eh?

Keep the pics coming.

All the best

Paul

B

Bari

HI, back again, after a lot of cursing, fumbling and realising that I have bunches of shaky bananas for fingers I have finally got a couple of coats of paint on it. I thought I would try klear instead of varnish and having researched it came up with this website The Complete Future which gave me the current name for it in this country. I found it in Asda and you get a nice big bottle for £3.75. It seems to work as its supposed to. The last couple of images are the ones with it applied. I found my hands to be quite shaky doing the small items and had to resort to supporting the brush hand against the item holding hand and as both were trembling in unision sort of got a steady line. I also found that normal masking tape allowed a slight seepage in places so have a bit of touching up to do. For what seemed to be a nice set of mouldings the fit of some pieces leave a lot to be desired. It took me ages to get the cockpit glass to fit as it was too long and I had to file it down and it was way out with gaps all along the front third. Its not very good and has gaps especially at the back where the filing was a bit energetic. Anyway next are the decals and as I can hardly see most of them it should prove to be interesting

View attachment 27299

View attachment 27300

IMG_0110.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

F

Fenlander

That is looking very nice Bari, It is a small kit and I am sure you are a tad apprehensive at building it and showing it off in public but trust me, you are doing a great job.

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
I agree ,I struggle with these tiddlers. I think you're making a good fist of this one,it looks a good clean build and that camouflage is top notch.

Cheers

Steve

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
The Spit' is looking really good Barri. Not at all like my first attempt upon returning to the world of models (which no one has ever seen !!)

Colin M......

D

dm73

looks good Bari, watching this closely as i'm going to be starting my 1/72 spit for the november non gb, never built a plane before but your build is giving me something to aim for.

Cheers

Darren

B

Bari

Finished at last, well I though I was but having taken a few photos and looked at them in the zoom mode I can see all the bits I've missed. In hindsight I should have taped the fuselage sides together and dry fitted the canopy and not leave it until almost the end. The canopy was narrower than the fuselage and didn't really sit right. Also one of the decals on the port wing seems to have shifted in the night and we have a slight kink in it. still on with the next one which is the mk1 Hurricane.

View attachment 27418

View attachment 27419

View attachment 27420

View attachment 27421

View attachment 27422

View attachment 27423

View attachment 27424

IMG_0119.jpg

IMG_0113.jpg

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0120.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg