1/72 B17-G 'A Bit o' Lace'

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
As some of you flyboys are having a go at building armour, I thought it only right I should have a go at building an aircraft.

I chose the Flying Fortress because I saw two at Duxford recently. One in the USAAF museum there and the airworthy one that I understand was used for the film 'Memphis Belle'

I hope you approve.....Please be gentle, I bruise easily!!!!!

:hmmm:

Ron

View attachment 19645

View attachment 19646

View attachment 19647

View attachment 19648

View attachment 19649

View attachment 19650

B17-G 001.jpg

B17-G 002.jpg

B17-G 003.jpg

B17-G 004.jpg

B17-G 005.jpg

B17-G 006.jpg

G

GEEDUBBYA

Howdy Ron,

Well you dont have to worry about any bruises from me, I think you have done some supberb work on this model. The B-17 has always been a favorite of mine ( I have a 1:48th scale waiting to be built).

Unfortunately I havent had the time in the past several months to build much of anything....let me rephrase that....i havent had time to build ANYTHING lol. However, with the installation of the new machines at work winding down to an end, hopefully I will be able to start my "speed builds" again soon.

I am a big fan of the way you have photographed your model, I have, in more than one post, proclaimed the beauty of this particular style of photography. It really gives you the impression that you are at eye level looking at a full size aircraft. I photograph all of my models in this manner and hope to see others try this method too.

Anyway, i just wanted to say "Great Job" and i look forward to more builds photos of your builds being posted here in the forum.

Have a good day,

Greg aka GEEDUBBYA (GW)

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
One of my all time favourite bombers, that and the Lancaster. Well done Ron.

C

Caledonia

Ron, A beauty, can almost hear Glen Millar in the background. Well done Derek

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
hi ron, that was a quick build!! it only seems like a week or so since you said you were going to do a plane! youve done a great job well done,top photography again too. So how did you find switching genres ,and do you think this is the first of many? all the best tony

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
\ said:
hi ron, that was a quick build!! it only seems like a week or so since you said you were going to do a plane! youve done a great job well done,top photography again too. So how did you find switching genres ,and do you think this is the first of many? all the best tony
Yo Tony, thanks for the comments, very kind. I was very lucky, I found it at a charity shop for a fiver so I got stuck in straight away. Saved me having to watch 'strictly' on the box....Lord help us!!!

Once the crew and fiddly bits were painted on the sprues, it went together quite quickly.

Regards the photo, I placed the model on two pieces of slate and to my surprise they made a nice looking runway!

I have my eye on a PBY- 5A Catalina next, I'm still an armour fan but I am enjoying the change and aircraft are certainly a challenge.

P.S I've gone the whole hog (diverse wise) and have also been quietly building a plastic 1/350 warship too!.....Keeeeeeeeeep dancing, Bruce!!

:beer:

Ron

T

tigertc

\ said:
As some of you flyboys are having a go at building armour, I thought it only right I should have a go at building an aircraft.I chose the Flying Fortress because I saw two at Duxford recently. One in the USAAF museum there and the airworthy one that I understand was used for the film 'Memphis Belle'

I hope you approve.....Please be gentle, I bruise easily!!!!!

:hmmm:

Ron
Top job sir,nice setting for the photo's too.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Thank you, it made a refreshing change to the armour I usually build, and a lot harder!

Ron