1/72 Chevrolet CMP C60L GS, steel body No.13 cab, an IBG kitbash

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
I have Evergreen sheet and strip styrene that I have been using for well over 30 years.....rest assured that it is not brittle and models just as well as the day I bought it back in the late 70's.
Whereas I have models that I converted 30 years ago, and if handled the wrong way, bits break off the plastic card :sad: That’s why I was wondering if maybe the colour would affect this behaviour.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Whereas I have models that I converted 30 years ago, and if handled the wrong way, bits break off the plastic card :sad: That’s why I was wondering if maybe the colour would affect this behaviour.
Might also be affected by the paint……enamels would readily leach out plasticisers, and UV in sunlight causes issues with un stabilised plastics as well.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
I would say UV and sunlight before enamel, as that's all I paint with..........

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Maybe acrylics is the problem and enamels lengthen the plastic card’s life, then :smiling3: I’ve been using mostly acrylics for over 30 years, but I don’t have enough comparison material to say whether a model painted in enamels wouldn’t suffer this when one in acrylics does, or vice versa, or both just as badly.

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Primed & base coated in Halfords grey acrylic primer, 4hrs later OOJ Tamiya XF58 with 10% X20...
20220508_183929.jpg
20220508_184028.jpg
20220508_184008.jpg
Okies, visible scarring from punch, above arch cutouts, I will dawb some Mr Surfacer 1000 in there.....
20220508_183947.jpg
Overall pleased, yea.... iva shank in chassis, hey ho body covers any mr. meanor.... comes in 157.8" in 72nd measurements, imma happy.
Time to look into old guitar string stash for tilt hoops
Nick

Last edited:

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Nick. Coming along nicely like that paint job be looking for more updates

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Nice :smiling3:

Am I right in thinking you made the half-round steps in the tail gate by punching out a full circle, then glueing half of it back in?
Jakko,
Nah i used a hole punch set, but only pressed hard the lower needed semicircle/hemisphere.... I cut out semicircle with scalpel, ...but I did leave a scar/mark from punch
Prime n base paint has revealled this
Nivk

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
TBH, XF58 on cab & chassis 7yrs old.... on body with 7-10% X20 for spraying seemed a tad lighter? Doesnt show in pics really but IRL a tone or 2 lighter, will go with it as i do vary shades on builds
Nick

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Lee
One more thing, and as my artistic license on build, and i cannot see on original pics..... imma gonna do my CMP C60L in SCC15 with 'Mickey Mouse Ear' camo......
Nick

Niho

SMF Supporter
First Name
Nick
Looks the Bomb Nick wait on camo it is then......that's a beauty of a "mod"!
Mini Me ... many thanks sir
I am, rather blinkin happy, the 'build on sheet taped down' worked really well, in the past I've cut body parts then added strips, always warped with styrenestrip additions, as in a stretched paper/styrene sheet method it is a 100% better finish

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
i used a hole punch set, but only pressed hard the lower needed semicircle/hemisphere.... I cut out semicircle with scalpel, ...but I did leave a scar/mark from punch
I saw that on the unpainted model, that’s why I wondered if you had done it like I thought :smiling3: Neither is a method I had considered, so now I’ll have some to try if I ever need to make semicircular cutouts myself.

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
What I have done in the past, is make the tailgate in two pieces, circle punch the edge of one segment half the diameter of the punch, and then glue the two segments together leaving a nice clean half circle. Here is an example of a captured GMC that got this treatment on the edge and then had the finished edge installed after. Hope this helps.P1010724.JPG

Lee Drennen

Box Stock Builder with a Twist/ Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Lee
Lee
One more thing, and as my artistic license on build, and i cannot see on original pics..... imma gonna do my CMP C60L in SCC15 with 'Mickey Mouse Ear' camo......
Nick
I have a Italeri 1/35 Bedford that has a “Mickey Mouse Ear” Camo options I had to look one up to see what they were talking about. Great choice Nick.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nick,

That is coming on very nicely indeed!!!

Very well done.

Andrew