1/72 Fairey Fulmar with PE wingfold.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
As a diversion to the lengthy painting of my Wellington Bust, I decided to delve into the stash for a simple, but different model, and I came up with this..........
vista fulmar.jpg
This is from 1998 - Vista have long since vanished, but the model has been reboxed many times, by Revell, Smer etc. It is rather simple, but has recessed panel lines, and a halfway decent canopy. In itself, it looks OK, but nothing out of the ordinary, so I'm going to use this to add more interest
fulmar wingfold.jpg
This needs a fair amount of surgery, luckily, all straight cuts, all along panel lines. I'll put up some sprue shots & maybe a few detail shots tomorrow. The instructions are on a postcard sized piece of paper, and it's good that it's a simple model. The back of the box has the colour scheme of the variants, a Mk.I and a Mk.II
Dave

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Dave this should be very interesting folding wings , good luck with the surgery your a braver man than I am.
Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
Really interested in this. I would have liked to have folded wings on my recent Gannet build but chickened out. Good luck.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Very surprised at the interest shown in this!!
I have the Gannet wingfold in the stash. it's more complicated than the Fulmar!DSCF0215.JPGDSCF0217.JPG
The canopy looks pretty good - it'll need careful painting!
DSCF0216.JPGDSCF0213.JPG
The comprehensive instructions.................
DSCF0212.JPG

A few detail shots
DSCF0218.JPGDSCF0219.JPGDSCF0220.JPG

And the PE for the wingfold...
DSCF0214.JPG

The cockpit is extremely basic basic, no instrument panel or interior details.
Time for a bit of surgery, a new blade in my scalpel, and a few deep breaths............
Dave

D

Deleted member 7237

Hi Dave
First stage complete very well done :thumb2: . You deserve an afternoon nap for that:sleeping:.
Pete.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Dave
That cutting looks neat :thumb2: I suppose it has to be done carefully otherwise you'd have no chance with the PE folding mechanism.
Jim

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
I had to use a knife, so I didn't lose any material. If I'd used a razor saw, which would have been faster & easier, I could have ended up with parts that were too small.
Dave

D

Deleted member 6559

Looks like you've set yourself a challenge there Dave. Watching with great interest.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Dave, fantastic and the cuts look very clean. :thumb2: Would like to get my hands on the AirWaves etch, is it still available? I think I also have one of the reboxed Fulmars in my stash. It'll look much better with the wings folded.

Grabing a chair for this.

Cheers,
Richard

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
I like the way the canopy is 'frosted' where it needs painting. Looks a nice kit, and I'm sure you'll make a great job of it.
Pete

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Interior assembled & basecoated, I'll do a little detail painting, before closing the fuselage upDSCF0229.JPG
I have to assemble the fuselage next, as a good joint for the stub wings is going to be a bit of a struggle, I fear!
Dave

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Looking at the decal sheet, I think it may be aged past using. Luckily, I remembered I had a AM decal sheet Xtradecal X72-108 815 NAS - I bought it for the Swordfish and Gannet markings - now I can use the Fulmar schemeDSCF0235.JPG

How many times have you used a complete AM decal sheet? - this has the Fulmar, Avenger, Swordfish, Albacore, Gannet, Wessex & Lynx
Dave