1/72 Figures?

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Which makers produce 1/72 figures in hard polystyrene? The old style polythene figures, like from Airfix, aren't what I'm interested in, but ones that can be painted and modified easily. It's something I have no experience of....................
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Do they need to be WW2 or are you interested in other periods? You are looking for 20mm war games scale for the closest to 1/72. Does it have to be hard plastic? There are some great white metal figures out there....
As a starter, try the Plastic Soldier Company....

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

Tim is correct about PSC figures. They're only made in hard plastic.

Also try here. They are the definitive site for 1/72 plastic soldiers and in depth reviews.http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/

Good luck in your hunt.

Andrew

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
Zvezda do a range of nicely detailed small sets (usually 3-4 figures) made from normal polystyrene so clean-up and gluing are easy. John had some in his shop on special offer but I don't know if he has any left, but even if he's sold out, they are not expensive.

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Dave

Gern is right. The zvezda range is very nice plus they're snap together so arms and sometimes legs are separate and they're pretty cheap too.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
DAVE I use 00 model railway figures an they quite easy to get as that what I make into my navy figures on my ships an they look ok but unpainted they are when you buy them
chris

SimonT

Rest in Peace
Rest In Peace
First Name
Simon
Caesar Minatures Assembly Series are hard styrene multipose figures (in a similar fashion to the old 1/32 Airfix - separate legs, bodies, heads, arms etc) - only seem to be available for German WW2 forces though

Caesar

Preiser do some very nice military figures but I have found them difficult to obtain

Zvezda are variable - some of them like the multi piece German and Russian ground crews are very nice but some of the earlier sets are single piece moulded blobs

Last edited:

Mini Me

SMF Supporter
First Name
Rick
Dave, Preiser of Germany have a full range of hard plastic figs. in 1/72nd scale. My 2002 Preiser catalog has 7 pages of figs. so there are probably even more available now.
Rick H.

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Thanks all for the feedback - I was asked by one of my drinking companions why I didn't do any groups of figures ( he meant diorama, or vignette ), and I thought of a small base ( CD sized ) with perhaps a fieldgun, or a couple of horsemen - probably Napoleonic, as they will be probably easiest to source. It's very much an idea in the back of my head at the moment..........................
Dave

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Hi David
i would recommend 28mm Perry or Victrix figures for that Sort of enterprise. Also, as you won’t need many, source individual sprues on eBay or such. They are readily available....

Dave Ward

Still Trying New Things
SMF Supporter
First Name
David
For better, or worse, I've just ordered 2 X Zvezda boxes - Russian Dragoons & Russian Infantry Command ( both Napoleonic ), at just over £10 delivered, worth a look.
Dave

Gern

'Stashitis' victim
SMF Supporter
First Name
Dave
For better, or worse, I've just ordered 2 X Zvezda boxes - Russian Dragoons & Russian Infantry Command ( both Napoleonic ), at just over £10 delivered, worth a look.
Dave
Looking at the reviews, I don't think you'll be disappointed.