1/72 GB (but not a GB) - Messerschmitt BF-109E

G

Greg147

Okay, here's my addition to this GB (but not a GB). I'll be building the Academy BF-109.

I haven't built a plane in a while, so this could be interesting. After buying, I also read some reviews that this kit suffers from bad fitting. I'll give it my best shot ;)

M

m1ks

If it's akin to the recent Academy Typhoon I built it should go together like a dream, good luck with that

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Good to see you are having a go at this B.O.B. unofficial G/B Greg. That makes three of us posted in the section now.

I have recently bought this very same kit which I intend to build in the near future, so after reading your post re. the bad fit, I have the greatest pleasure in allowing you to be the guinea pig!!

Good luck, I will be following with interest.

Cheers,

Ron

G

Greg147

Time for an update, I feel.

And here's a pic of the cockpit.

So far, the kit hasn't given me many problems. The fitting isn't perfect, but I wouldn't say it's worse than average. There's one piece that is flat on the bottom, but needs to be attached to a slightly curved surface, and despite my best efforts, there are gaps near the fuselage where the top and bottom of the wings simply wouldn't fit together. Nevertheless, I've seen worse, so I'm probably just nitpicking ;)

The struts on the tail were slightly confussing as well. The instructions aren't massively details for this bit, and the little indents where the pieces are surposed to fit don't seem to match their respective parts at all. Oh well, I think it looks okay:

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Greg

The build looks to be coming along nicely. Those struts on the stabilizers are confusing in any scale. it's a challenge figuring out which end is supposed to go in the fuselage and which end in the underpart of the wing (I know!)

Looks fine Greg keep up the great work

Paul

G

Greg147

After cutting my way through a transfer sheet that's almost as big as the model itself, I've finally finished the 109.

The build was faily straightforward; most of the difficulties came during painting. I don't have a working airbrush at the moment, so it was done by hand, so I experimented a lot to get the effect on the fuselage. The bomb didn't want to stick on either; not quite sure why, but the third attempt seems to have worked. Anyway, here's some pics.

D

dm73

Greg, thats a great looking 109, are you making a base or dio for it?

G

Greg147

I might do one in the future, but I won't have time before the end of the GB as I'm going away for a week tommorrow. I would have liked to do the in-flight one I had in mind, which would have been the 109 strafing a pair of Bedford trucks somewhere in along the coast, but I was put off by the lack of a pilot. I still intend to do that dio, but probably with the sides switched around, like a P-47 straffing a German column or something.

If I get bored of my current dio, I might put together a little 'on the ground' scene while waiting for inspiration to return ;)

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
A very nice result here. This is the exact kit I have looking at me here waiting for the off !

regards

Colin M.....

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
I like it...a very nice 109 Greg.

Well done, like Colin's post I too have this same kit and it was good to follow your build in case you came up with any major probs. but it seemed to go together fine.

Pity about the pilot though....seems less and less 1/72's include a figure, which is a shame. But a nice build all the same.

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Greg

Nice 109 in great markings - the unit markings always remind me of the Kellogg's logo!

You've done a great job with hand painting the mottling.

All the best

Paul

B

Bunkerbarge

Another 109 takes to the skies. Great build and interesting to see another take on this plane. My money would still be on the Tamiya one though but it's not as far out in front as it used to be.

Just for future reference I'm fairly sure that you have the struts upside down, which is why they don't seem to fit the recesses.

G

Greg147

Thanks for the comments, guys, they're much appreciated.

Richard, you're probably right about the struts. I sat there for at least half an hour with a pair of tweezers trying to fit them in all directions, but it still wouldn't surprise me to find out I had them upside down ;)