1/72 HMS Victory Cross Section

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Looking good!
I'm a sucker for any Victory build. During the war a magazine sold a set of blueprints (yes, proper blueprints, state of the art then) of the Victory. Not sure of the scale, it was about 2 feet long. My dad carved the hull from pitch pine, and started making all the masts and spars. When he died I carried on making small parts for a while, but over the decades bits got lost, and the rain got into the shed so the blueprints rotted, so I finally gave up and threw it all out around 2000. :sad:
Pete

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hello 'My dear friends'
Thanks for your great posts. Always appreciate a bit of banter :tongue-out3:
Not a lot done but some progress. First job was to plank the bulwarks of the orlop deck. Rather than cut the planks slightly oversize, as per the instructions, and then sand back I measured each plank accurately so virtually no sanding was needed. Too much sanding stresses the frame :rolling:
P1060573.JPG

Before planking the orlop there were gratings to make. A couple were made with PE mesh and a couple were all wood.
P1060572.JPG

Stay safe guys. With the vaccination programme going well and maybe some relaxing of the lockdown I might, just, perhaps, possibly get to see my granddaughter for her 4th birthday on Saturday :smiling:
Jim

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Hope you do Jim.
Very neat as to be expected , can we have a photo of your bench please. So I can gloat:smiling3:

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Bulwarks.....Planking your orlop.....well that doesn’t sound peculiar at all Jim :smiling5:
Hope you get to see you Granddaughter for her birthday :thumb2:

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
John, Bob, Andrew and Si - as always your posts are most welcome. Looks like granddaughter's birthday will be a video call but hopefully we'll get to see her a week later.

Now the hold is finished the orlop deck can be put in. The instructions tell you to only stain the upper surface as the underneath will hardly be seen. Their reasoning is that the glue will not work well on stained wood. I can't see that as the stain sinks in and I'm using proper wood glue. Did a bit of a test and the glue on stained wood still sticks perfectly. So I stained top and bottom of the planks. They also tell you to plank right across and then cut out holes for the mast and pumps.
P1060577.JPG

In my mind that is a recipe for disaster. They even warn you in step 8. So I planked up to the edge of the pump well.
P1060576.JPG

Then using the template for the holes and some very careful measuring I built the centre section as a separate piece.
P1060574.JPG

A bit of tidying and carefully drilling the mast hole and all done. Much more time consuming but easier and a better result.
P1060575.JPG

Thanks again for following along.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Jim

Simply great work.

ATB.

Andrew

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Fantastic progress Jim. Are you going to have a matelot in there to give it context when you finish?

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YEA Tim that would really set the build off great work Jim
chris

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Ron - one thing I'll never be is a joiner. Even putting up a shelf is stretching my abilities ;)
Andrew - thanks for your support.
Tim and Chris - not thought of that but what a good idea. Where would I get appropriate 1/72 figures. Had a quick look and a company called Hat seems to have some. Any suggestions :smiling2:

Jim

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
Ron - one thing I'll never be is a joiner. Even putting up a shelf is stretching my abilities ;)
Andrew - thanks for your support.
Tim and Chris - not thought of that but what a good idea. Where would I get appropriate 1/72 figures. Had a quick look and a company called Hat seems to have some. Any suggestions :smiling2:

Jim
JIM look on a model railway site or a company called DAPOL i think it is as ive bought their figures an they are very good plenty of detail as i turned them in to sailors on my norfolk an they look ok in my opinion an you get a good bag full an they in OO or HO SCALE
CHRIS
chris

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
These might be more appropriate Jim.
Of course, there are other sellers out there.....and I would read up on this site
to see if they are what you want.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Firstly a couple of purchases. As Tim and Chris suggested a figure or two would add to the finished model so I bought these. I'll only use two or three, just to give a sense of scale and context.
P1060620.JPG

HMS Victory had copper plates on the hull below the waterline to prevent ship worm, barnacles, weed etc damaging the hull. The kit does not include these plates so I bought these.
P1060616.JPG

Not sure what glue to use but they'll have to be fitted soon as the model will have to be turned upsidedown to fit them and the further on I get the more difficult that will be. Fiddly bits may drop off! :rolling:

The centre section of the orlop deck was fitted along with the gratings.
I put together the upper section of the pump well. Construction was the same as the hold section. Main difference from the hold is that the orlop deck pump well and the bulwarks are painted white. Pure white seemed a bit harsh so white was mixed with ivory. I added missing detail to the door as I had on the hold section.
P1060580.JPG

P1060581.JPG

P1060579.JPG

Thanks once again for your support. It certainly keeps the mojo up.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Looking very good Jim. Hope the figures live up to expectations as well.

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Jim,
My apologies for not keeping up with this fine build. Just had a good catch up. Lovely neat work mate.