1/72 HMS Victory Cross Section

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Stunning work Jim. Pictures paint a thousand words. Up to your high standards. Looking forward to seeing the hammocks

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
David, Scottie, Richard and Steve - thanks for such kind comments :thumb2:

"Hammocks" I hear you say! Well it sounded like hammocks anyway :smiling5:

The instructions warn you that the midshipmens hammocks are very fiddly to make. They say that they can be omitted if portraying the ship in daytime configuration. Mind you I reckon that unless actually in a battle some of the bunks would be slung during the day for those on the night shift :thinking:
The supplied fabric was stiffened with dilute PVA and the template cut out. Then the shape transferred to the fabric.
P1060610.JPG

No way could I get it to fold like they show :crying: :sad: So I made a wooden box the right size with a block that fitted inside. Worked well.
P1060611.JPG

P1060612.JPG

Wires were fixed each end.
P1060615.JPG

Adding ropes was frustrating but got there in the end.
P1060621.JPG

The hanging ropes were tied - I must thank the missus for an extra pair of hands here :thumb2: The knots were fixed with glue and the spare wire cut off.
P1060656.JPG

The hanging ropes were threaded through the bars previously fitted to the beams, fixed with PVA and the spare rope cut off. I only fitted 8 hammocks and rolled up some spare fabric to look like stowed bunks.
P1060658.JPG

P1060657.JPG

They are far from perfect but within the constraints of the size and the material they look ok.

Stay safe.
Jim

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Jim

Just had a catch-up. That's is stunning work.

ATB.

Andrew

wotan

SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Jim

A very effective solution to a tricky assembly job. Bravo. BTW hammocks for active crew would have been stowed in the nettings running along each upper deck gunwale., when not in service. To allow circulation below decks, the watches would have been divided between Larbord and Starbord teams leaving room for the active watch to work and eat below decks.

John

Si Benson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Si
Evening Jim,
Ive had to have a wee catchup as I got a bit behind......Well I’m not disappointed with your progress that’s for sure.
Your consistent calculated approach is paying off big time.
Among many other things, the copper plates on the hull do look good and the hammock jig was a top idea.
Excellent work:nerd:

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Have to agree with Tim, about it being so interesting. The copper strip and the hammocks , just wow. Jim you should be very proud of this.
Credit to Mrs Jim for helping.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi all
Many thanks for your continued patience and support. Sorry for such a delay in updating this. Better weather, jobs to do as dictated by the good lady and one or two issues with the build.
Fixed the deck of the lower gun deck. Slow job as each plank had to be painted white underneath and stained above. Working inwards from the bulwarks.
P1060659.JPG

The centre section is a slightly raised platform which fits around the tops of the pumps. First the edges are built up.
P1060660.JPG

P1060661.JPG

P1060662.JPG

P1060663.JPG

Now the instructions say to plank the platform and then cut out for the pump tops and the mast. No way can I see the cut outs can be done in situ. I decided to build the platform separately and fit it with the cut outs already done.
P1060664.JPG

Card template made
P1060665.JPG

Planked. The light planks were because I ran out of stained ones.
P1060666.JPG

Then the holes were checked and the mast hole sanded round. It fits fine.
P1060667.JPG

P1060668.JPG

Stained like the rest of the deck
:thumb2:
P1060675.JPG

Thanks again guys.
Jim

I get my second jab tomorrow. A few people who I have spoken to say they had no problems with the first but were off it for a couple of days after the second one. I'll have to see but I'll feel much safer :thumb2:

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Another great update. This is going to be a real head turner when it’s done! Her indoors had minor flu symptoms for about a day after her second jab, but both my mother and mother in law had no symptoms at all from either....I think it’s just pot luck. Better than Covid though :thumb2:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Jim

Absolutely brilliant. Very well done indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

BattleshipBob

Bob, bob, bobing along!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Bob
Lovely work Jim, turning into a stunning build! Should get my 2nd jab soon, first gave me a banging headache.

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Thanks guys for your nice comments. I do appreciate your looking in.
The wife and I had our second jab early this morning. No problems so far. I have to say that the staff and volunteers could not have been more helpful and accommodating. All credit to them - big thanks.

No update but some photos of the completed orlop deck. You have to peer in closely to see inside. It seems more realistic, sort of claustrophobic in a way. It must have been pretty claustrophobic in reality.
P1060671.JPG

P1060672.JPG

P1060679.JPG

P1060674.JPG

...and the from the back
P1060677.JPG

P1060676.JPG

Thanks again and stay safe. There's light at the end of the tunnel.
Jim

Pr.Merlin

Paul
First Name
Paul
Hey Jim, I've just caught up with your thread and what a beauty it is too! The detail is pretty awesome and the photos are excellent! Superb job Sir, and inspirational.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Great work Jim. Absolutely love it.

Andrew

boatman

SMF Supporter
First Name
christopher
YEA Jim its a great build a loads of detail very good work sir :thumb2:
chris