1/72 HMS Victory Cross Section

Peter Gillson

SMF Supporter
First Name
Peter
Jim

just catching up after a while - great work, coming along a treat, definitely one for the from of the cabinet.

Peter

Reactions: JR

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Tim, Richard, Scottie and Peter - I appreciate your kind support :thumb2: No far to go now!!

The upper gun deck is complete. Beam supports, tools, buckets etc. all fitted.
P1060769.JPG

P1060774.JPG

P1060770.JPG

P1060771.JPG

P1060772.JPG

P1060773.JPG

The wales on the outer hull are next. I didn't know what wales were so looked on 'tinternet. They are lengths of planking fastened to the outer hull to add strength. When gun ports and entrances are cut into a wooden hull it is weakened and the wales go some way to restoring the hull strength. See - not just mogglin but free education thrown in :smiling5: :tongue-out3:

Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Absolutely fantastic…..free knowledge and great modelling of a really interesting subject….loving it!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
If a Rating of today's Navy complaints about the accommodation and working conditions...they'd better have a visit to one of these ships of the line.

You've done a really nice piece of history for a display Jim and I've learnt what a wales is on a ship.

Cheers,
Richard

Allen Dewire

Proud Rabble Member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Allen
Evening Jim,

This whole build is utterly fantastic and a true credit to your patience and modelling skills Sir. I can only tip my hat to you for your truly hard work in building this interesting piece of history. I thank you......

Also, I didn't know what wales were either, other than a country north west of England. I also noticed you have one cannon in the rearward position which means either it was just fired or is going to be loaded. Don't you just want to add some smoke and flame if it was just fired? John and I have the perfect answer for that....Even without the spiders!!!!...............coat on, door found......................

Prost
Allen (Ret.)

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Jim

Missed the last couple of updates. Quite simply OUTSTANDING!!!

Top notch work. Particularly love the ram rods for the guns.

Very well done indeed.

ATB.

Andrew

David Lovell

SMF Supporter
First Name
David
Giant thumbs up Jim ,have watched this one on the quiet from the start absolutely brilliant such a unusual and imersive subject to see it all from the cutaway perspective, what makes it that bit special for me in my youth I slept on one of the gun decks of HMS Fudroyant (spelling?) In hammoks cold and uncomfortable. This one is very special hope you've got a place of honour for it when finnished . Dave

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Once again guys I am so encouraged by all your very kind comments. I like Allen's suggestion but I'll give it a miss this time :rolling: :smiling5: :rolling: :tongue-out3:. I must give him and John time to perfect the technique :thumb2:

Wales all done although I think there is one more to fit further up the hull. Once again the instructions say to fit slightly oversize and trim/sand back. The whole thing is too fragile for that and anyway I can't risk sawdust getting inside the model. I cut each piece accurately and then fit - slower but less fraught.
P1060777.JPG

Next is planking the quarter deck. They suggest fitting and then staining. I paint one side of each plank off white and then stain the other surface before fitting.
P1060775.JPG

The outer planks are hard to clamp so I just weight them down.
P1060776.JPG

Staining first works but as you can see there is a little touch up needed but that is easy and only takes a moment.
P1060778.JPG

There are only a couple of stages left although having looked through them there seems to be a lot involved yet.
Thanks for your continued support.
Jim

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Great stuff. Sanding on the model sounds a recipe for disaster to me. Good call on your technique Jim. Are you going to calk the seams on the top deck? She’ll be a wet vessel without it ;)
Personally, I can’t work out how you could do it myself…..but this build is a real education so you might have a trick or two left….

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Jim

This really is a work of art. Top marks all around.

ATB.

Andrew

Airborne01

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Giant thumbs up Jim ,have watched this one on the quiet from the start absolutely brilliant such a unusual and imersive subject to see it all from the cutaway perspective, what makes it that bit special for me in my youth I slept on one of the gun decks of HMS Fudroyant (spelling?) In hammoks cold and uncomfortable. This one is very special hope you've got a place of honour for it when finnished . Dave
'Foudroyant' mate - lovely looking vessel!
Steve