1/72 Lancastrian build

I

ian lanc

Hi guys,

Heres the Avro Lancastrian build i'm using the old Matchbox Lanc' kit with an M&E resin conversion set, this set is really made for the Airfix Lanc' kit and people say it can't be done ! well let me tell it can be mated with the Matchbox kit, with a little force.

The two kits.

As you can see the decals are covered in cracks and when i come to put them in water they will just break up

Wings put together and those 'tricky' nacelles fitted a dream, i can remember this kit when i was a kid you could put it together without painting it because it was made up of three different colours.

The nacelles have flame dampers on them so i've had to cut them all off and put a piece of plasti card behind for the exhaust ports to sit on, Lancastrian's had none on !

Ports stolen from my revell Lanc' kit !

Rear wings/stablelizers made up

undercarriage made up, again the legs are very fiddley to align up because you have tiny bits of plastic which goes into a massive hole !!

Front and rear nose fairings fitted they didn't need much altering to fit, the bomb bay doors where a nightmare because they where made out of four pieces and didn't fit.

The side window canopies have massive pieces of plastic around the square windows, i've trimmed all this off so when i fit the windows they are nice and neat.

First coat of primer around the tail.

thanks for looking

B

Bunkerbarge

Looking like it's coming together well. I know the modern mouldings give us stunning levels of detail and superb fit but I do like to see people make the best of the old kits we all made in huge numbers all those years ago.

The parts are certainly cleaning up well and look good after a bit of rubbing down.

I

ian lanc

Props painted in silver H11 with coal black H85 spinners.

Painting the exhaust was tricky ! they kept going 'ping' off the damn pegs lol

Canopy windows glued in and canopy glued, no glue has gone inside thank god !, the part around the side windows where its gone white won't be seen as its under the framework and the frame will be silver.

A picture to show i do all my modeling on my lap !

Wings on and all nice and level, Starting to put layer of primer on.

Thanks for looking modellers.

jspitza

Jeff
First Name
Jeff
Hi Ian. Why oh why do I keep regressing towards old kits when I see a new release come out? I love seeing people build kits out of box (I know you needed one for the actual plane model) and modify them without all of the after market cockpit, flaps, guns, pe set crap. Awesome!

Last edited by a moderator:
I

ian lanc

\ said:
Hi Ian. Why oh why do I keep regressing towards old kits when I see a new release come out? I love seeing people build kits out of box (I know you needed one for the actual plane model) and modify them without all of the after market cockpit, flaps, guns, pe set crap. Awesome!
I know what you mean ! i made a 1/48th Tamiya Lanc' two years ago and added no PE at all and it looked just as good as one of my friends lanc's and he spent £85 on aftermarket PE/resin stuff :noidea:

Well in 4 hours today i've masked the canopy out, i would normally hand paint the entire canopy ! but this i had to do hand painting silver looks terrible and i've sprayed it with a aerosol tin of acrylic silver and dried in ten minutes :shh:

I

ian lanc

Heres whats been to since the last pictures.......

Yes i know the wheels are wrong !.... but i don't care

Five coats of Kear ,then a 'wash', i'll let that dry a few hours then rub most of it off again

I

ian lanc

Hi all,

Finished the old gal' off today and with some decals that wern't meant for her ! the original ones just broke up :cry: she still looks nice no matter what !.

Cleaned all the wash off and its left some nice detailing, i reckon the old Matchbox Lanc' kit still scrubs up nicely.

As soon as the decals got water born they just broke up into tiny,tiny pieces and i had applied around 4-5 coats of Klear on them,so it was panic stations as no one does Lancastrian decals, i had to look through my box full of old decals and to my surprise i saw something like the old ruined ones PHEW !

Fake windows done these are on both sides,they are done in satin black.

Putting all eight stub stacks in.

Props added.

The finished Lancastrian, not a bad bodge if i may say so :grin:

Thanks for looking

Centurion3RTR

Fossil Raver
First Name
John
Very nice, makes me feel like building one, top marks Ian:respect1:

O

oldHooker

Hi Ian,

That is one more BEAUTIFUL build, sir! Thanks for showing it! :smiling3:

Take care,

Frank

wonwinglo

SMF Supporter
First Name
Barry
A super project Ian and your end product says it all,thank you for the detailed photo coverage of the conversion,most interesting.