1/72 MAN / KAT1 M1013 Truck

• Thread starter Deleted member 7181
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 7181

Here are some completed shots of this, following a hasty rebuild after dropping it on the floor!

Build topic here

Ended up using my phone pictures as I couldn't get them right on the camera, either too dark or washed out. More practice needed. Hope you like the outcome :smiling3:

JzXw6YD.jpg

WGtVNqW.jpg

V2qJRq0.jpg

sF8e2Hq.jpg

WILrOXE.jpg

Qsbqt8v.jpg

evwZVg2.jpg

3j1UWOD.jpg

And "behind the scenes" :smiling5:
JXKne2xm.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Once more, a very good-looking model, IMHO. Looks nicely weathered like it’s actually in use, not just standing around the motor pool being cleaned every day, too.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Good finish on this one, looks great. Fine job on the weathering as well, not easy to pull off in this scale.
With respect to your under and over exposed pictures, try using a mid toned backdrop. What happens is that when used on automatic the camera sensors try to make the dominant tone a mid grey, so if you use white as a backdrop they underexpose the image to try to make the backdrop closer to a mid grey. Same thing happens if you use black, the camera overexposes the picture to try and turn the black to mid grey. Saw a great trick on a photography course once. The tutor set up a really expensive SLR camera on a stand, set it to automatic, then shot a white backdrop, a grey backdrop and a black backdrop using the same light. All the pictures came out an identical mid grey.........

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 7181

Thanks everyone. I'm really pleased with this myself, glad you like it too.

Tim, cheers for the tip. I was wondering if a grey background might be better. With my phone I can tap the screen in the area I want it to meter to so I guess that's why they came out a bit better. I'll get the roller out and paint my backdrop paper and see what happens.

Tim Marlow

Little blokes aficionado
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tim
Might sound a bit daft, but if you go for a lightish red the green truck will really “pop” off the background .....look at my avatar for an example....

D

Deleted member 7181

Ah yes Tim, I'll see what I have in the decorating stash. I may even end up doing a few backdrops in different colours for future use.

Thanks Paul.

One thing I noticed was that the windows were a little thick and sit slightly proud. I'm assuming that with a lot of sanding and polishing work I could thin them down if I come up against the same thing again, but this one is staying as it is :smiling3:

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Ah yes Tim, I'll see what I have in the decorating stash. I may even end up doing a few backdrops in different colours for future use.
A simple way to get coloured background for photography is to go to a stationer’s — they’ll probably (at least around here) have sheets of thin card in various colours, usually about A2 size.

One thing I noticed was that the windows were a little thick and sit slightly proud. I'm assuming that with a lot of sanding and polishing work I could thin them down
It’d be simpler to just cut new ones from clear plastic sheet :smiling3:

D

Deleted member 7181

A simple way to get coloured background for photography is to go to a stationer’s — they’ll probably (at least around here) have sheets of thin card in various colours, usually about A2 size.
True, but some of us come from Yorkshire, where spending money is virtually a crime if you could have made it yourself from left-overs :smiling5: