1/72 Pegasus Paper Panzer P-245-010 - Finished!

adt70hk

I know its a bit sad but I like quickbuild kits!!!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Hi all

So this kit marks a new era for me and it's the first one I have painted using one of these new fangled airbrush thingies! ;) I actually did the painting last year but only decaled and weathered it just before coming aboard the forum. The filter was a DIY burnt umber one and very dark brown DIY wash in relevant places. I think the filter worked well but the wash less so...........:sad:

I chose the kit simply because as a freebie quickbuild kit it was ideal to practice on without wrecking a decent model. I would really welcome your honest opinion of what you think as it is the only way I will learn. I've also included a pre-weathering shot for comparison purposes

As for the vehicle I knew nothing about it but one website I found had this to say about it:

"According to 'Special Panzer Variants' by Spielberger and Doyle it is a Special Vehicle V Porsche Type 245/1. Combat Weight: 18 tons. Crew: 3, Armament 5.5cm rapid fire gun with a belt feed. Designed for AT/AAA targets with an elevation of 90 degrees. Powered by a 10 cylinder gasoline motor type 101 which produces 316 HP. Armour: Hull 60mm Front. Top speed of 65km/h. The design never went past the wooden mock-up scale model – stage of development."

ACW as usual and please be honest!!! :worried:

Andrew

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

27073461428_b1a8fc0c72_c.jpg

Pre-weathering

48636428981_524f7d6a88_c.jpg

Finished

48660147753_f302bd1e7b_c.jpg

48660476531_4a5d3bf889_c.jpg

48660625352_30bfdfae39_c.jpg

48660648767_afc1121a5d_c.jpg

48660106803_4f2e1c30a0_c.jpg

Jakko

Way past the mad part
SMF Supporter
First Name
Jakko
Heh … I’ve seen that boxtop plenty of times, but only now with these model pics do I realise the superstructure and turret are cast parts. I find them very unappealing, I must say — nothing to do with your building and painting them, which looks good, just that the whole shape of the thing does absolutely nothing for me :smiling3:

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Heh … I’ve seen that boxtop plenty of times, but only now with these model pics do I realise the superstructure and turret are cast parts. I find them very unappealing, I must say — nothing to do with your building and painting them, which looks good, just that the whole shape of the thing does absolutely nothing for me :smiling3:
I know what you mean. As I said above it was a freebie that I had no intention of building but thought it would be good base to test my then new airbrush on.

Fernando N

Aviation fan and the Roadrunner, meep meep!
SMF Supporter
First Name
Fernando
Nice one Andrew and smart to test out your new AB on a cheap kit.

What nozzle size and paint did you use?

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Nice one Andrew and smart to test out your new AB on a cheap kit.

What nozzle size and paint did you use?

Thanks very much Fernando.

The AB was a cheap Chinese one that came with the compressor I got. I've been told the needles are often around 0.4mm on these. I knew it was not going to be the best but it works ok and it gave me the chance to play around with something cheap and not risk wrecking a decent AB before I had got used to handling them.

Paints - all acrylics. The 'dunkelgelb' was Humbrol. Brown and green was Vallejo. The filter was tiny bit of artists acrylic burnt umber thinned to almost a water consistency and worked really well in my humble opinion. The dark wash was a 50/50 mix of Revell black and dark earth. Unfortunately I didn't thin it enough but you've got start somewhere!

Thanks again for stopping by.

Andrew

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Andrew.
The dark wash to me looks ok, it's in the right place, maybe a little heavy in one little spot as you mention but has the right effect.
The more we do the hopefully then more we learn. Good start .

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Andrew.
The dark wash to me looks ok, it's in the right place, maybe a little heavy in one little spot as you mention but has the right effect.
The more we do the hopefully then more we learn. Good start .

Thanks John. It didn't quite work out as intended but I was able to correct the worst of it and as you say only practice will improve my skills.

Mickc1440

SMF Supporter
First Name
Mick
More nice work Andrew, for some reason they make me thing of egg boxes with a turret :smiling2: :smiling2:

scottie3158

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Andrew, That is a great finish. That is not a design I have ever scene before, certainly a strange little beast.

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
More nice work Andrew, for some reason they make me thing of egg boxes with a turret :smiling2: :smiling2:

Andrew, That is a great finish. That is not a design I have ever scene before, certainly a strange little beast.

Paul, Mick

Thanks for taking the time to stop by and apologies for completely missing your comments and, yes, it is an old little design.

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Sorry to have missed this Andy. Its different and well constructed and painted. What's on the bench at the moment??

adt70hk

SMF Supporter
First Name
Andrew
Sorry to have missed this Andy. Its different and well constructed and painted. What's on the bench at the moment??
Steve

Thanks for stopping by and your support. I also see you've found what's on the bench next.