1/72 Red Army in Afghanistan - "Downtime"

G

Greg147

Hi all,

I've taken a few months away from modelling. Most of my projects have been to rest, at least for a while, and I have made a fresh start, with the intent of taking my time, and building smaller dioramas that won't take up huge amounts of space. Hopefully, in doing this, I can start focusing on detail, and maybe build my way back up to larger projects again using the skills I will have developed.

Anyway, here's my late entry to this GB. I'll be building a small chunk of one of the ubiquitous supply convoys that the Soviets formed during their war in Afghanistan during the eighties. The background will be that the convoy has stopped while a infantry group scouts out a village ahead, suspected to be a Mujahideen position. The convoys guards will be sitting, relaxing, talking to each other, etc.

My truck with load with be the famous Ural-4320, laden with supplies for some distant fire base. Also featuring will be a BTR-60, which I've just finished this week, and a small group of Soviet soldiers. Pics of these are below, except the truck accessories, which are on their way from Australia (apparently, very few companies have released a 1/72 pack with crates, barrels and rucksacks all in one) ;)

Anyway, here's some pics.

View attachment 33425

View attachment 33426

View attachment 33427

View attachment 33428

View attachment 33429

View attachment 33430

View attachment 33431

View attachment 33432

View attachment 33433

DSCF0905.jpg

DSCF0912.jpg

DSCF0904.jpg

DSCF0906.jpg

DSCF0903.jpg

DSCF0910.jpg

DSCF0909.jpg

DSCF0911.jpg

DSCF0907.jpg

D

Diego_GB_ESP

Hi Greg,

Sounds well thought out your idea, will look great once it is all together. There is some interesting footage on Youtube that may help if inspiration is required. Search Soviet Afghanistan war (Salang pass, part-1).

Cheers

N

noble

Hi Greg sounds like a good idea and i do like your kits....very nice look forward to seeing this take shape.

scott

G

Greg147

Thanks for the comments guys. I've done some work on the Ural, and have got it to a point near completion (although it is slightly shinier than the BTR from some reason...not quite sure why. I used the same technique for both).

I've also recieved the vehicle accessories I ordered, a rather small yet detailed Verlinden set. There's some pictures of the box and its contents below, plus one of both vehicles together, next to a Tamiya paint pot for size comparison.

Not long before I make a start on the base.

View attachment 33547

View attachment 33548

View attachment 33549

View attachment 33550

View attachment 33551

View attachment 33552

DSCF0913.jpg

DSCF0914.jpg

DSCF0915.jpg

DSCF0916.jpg

DSCF0917.jpg

DSCF0918.jpg

Last edited:

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Looking good Greg, some excellent kits and I like the sound of the scenario. There should be plenty to look at when it is finished....

Cheers,

Ron

N

noble

Greg this is coming on well i love the armoured car and the truck, the weathering is spot on will continue to watch this good work.

scott

G

Greg147

Hi all, time for an update.

I've done some work on the base, and got it to a point very close to completion. I didn't really know what I was doing, so this is the result of four or five experiments piled on top of each other, hopefully looking convincing as a dusty road snaking along the side of an Afghan valley.

I've also attached a close up pic of the Ural's cargo, which is mostly food, water, and soldier's gear. Next time I'll be showing some progress on the accompanying infantry.

View attachment 34063

View attachment 34064

View attachment 34065

View attachment 34066

View attachment 34067

DSCF0935.jpg

DSCF0934.jpg

DSCF0936.jpg

DSCF0932.jpg

DSCF0933.jpg

N

noble

Greg mate some nice work going on there love the dio keep up the good work.

scott

Ian M

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Great build so far Greg. Like the look of the diorama base to. Should be a nice one when painted up.

1/72 scale too! Rather you than I.

Ian M

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Greg very nice dio coming along here. It looks very convincing. One bit of advice I think will help a bit is to ground the rocks into the base so that they don't look as though they've just fallen there. Sweep some of the ground dust into where the rock touches the base. I think this would make your dio even better.

keep it up it looks great!

Paul

G

Greg147

Hi all, thanks for the comments. I would have replied sooner, but I've been having some internet troubles. I'm almost done with this one (just a few figures left), so looks like I'll meet to deadline ;)

I also had a go at experimenting with the rocks, as Paul mentioned. Unfortunately, I've made it harder for myself than I perhaps should have. The ground isn't made from any for of scatter like my other dioramas, but instead is is a mixture of plaster, small stones, more plaster, texture paint, and topped with various coats of dye. Hard as I tried, I couldn't create a mixture that could fit around the rocks and look natural. I originally intended for them to look as if they had rolled down from the hillside, so I suppose it's not too bad leaving it as it is.

Anyway, I'll probably put the finishing touches on in a few days, and post it up in the completed section.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Great work there Greg, coming along just nice. There are some cracking cargo's and loads turning up for this G/B. and this is no exception.

Nearly time for you to sit back and evaluate your excellent build.

Good stuff,

Ron

G

Greg147

Thanks for the comment, Ron. The diorama's now finished, I'll be posting pics in the completed section very shortly :smiling3: