1/72 Red Devils - "Snap Ambush"

G

Greg147

Hi all,

I've been thinking a lot about what to do for this group build, juggling the factors of size, cost and time to complete in trying to decide (plus what I am actually capable of at my level), but I think I've come up with something suitable.

I'll be building at least one relatively small diorama, and if I have time once it is completed, may build a 'sequel' as such. It will focus on the actions of a group of soldiers from the British 6th Airborne in their jump into Normandy in the early hours of June 6th. First up is a scene shortly after their landing.

The diorama will be roughly the size of an A4 sheet of paper, and will show the paras executing a snap ambush against an unsuspecting German unit; a horse-drawn artillery gun and its crew moving to a new firing position along a desolate country track. Slightly similar to the ambush in the second episode of Band of Brothers, but most of it was thought up before I made that connection. ;)

I'm still waiting for a few of the kits to arrive in the post, and at the moment, I only have the artillery unit by Revell. Pics will follow once the delivery gets here, and when I find the battery to my camera.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Nice idea Greg and good to see you joining in on this G.B., and doing multiple 'mini' dios too (time permitting)

I have the same artillery set as you. I don't know if you have found out yet, but being soft plastic the figures are a pig to clean up. I found that scraping the seams with a modelling knife is the only way to do it...sandpaper or a needle file only rolls the seams and not remove them.

That's what I find anyway. It would be interesting to know if anyone has found a foolproof and easy way to do this soul destroying task.

Good luck with the build and please post some pictures when you can.

Ron

tr1ckey66

SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
Hi Greg

Nice to get the Paras into the GB! and it's nice to have another braille scale dio to follow.

Very best of luck with the build it sounds great.

All the best

Paul

G

Greg147

Thanks for the comments guys. The delivery has just arrived so here's some pics. Ron, I'm just about to start with the artillery set, so I guess I'll find out how difficult the seams are to remove in the next hour or so. Using a knife to remove them is my standard method, so we'll have to see how that goes ;)

View attachment 30209

View attachment 30210

DSCF0761.jpg

DSCF0763.jpg

R

rogue-one

hi greg. when i first started reading this i thought you where going to do a dio based on the pegasus bridge mission and shouted " yas!! crackin!!" but then i realised you wheren't :sad: but thats kool, i'm sure your's is still gonna be a suberb wee no. and i'm gonna follow it with interest! :smiling3:

G

Greg147

I did have a pegasus bridge one in mind. Also the Merville battery. My ideas are still open, which is why I've chosen to build quite a small diorama for now (and why I mentioned a 'sequel'). If I decide to go for a larger project later in the month, I would still have time to build it without rushing. In other words, something like Pegasus Bridge may be a possibility ;)

G

Greg147

Well, it's been a hectic week here, but I've finally managed to get some work done on this diorama. The basic terrain shape is done, along with the first layer of foliage. It needs to be trimmed before bushes and trees are added. The bridge will have a railway running over it, and hopefully will look fairly decent. One of the pics also shows where the German arty will be, with the Red Devils manning the path above, and the other side of the bridge.

View attachment 30608

View attachment 30609

View attachment 30610

Photo0011.jpg

Photo0010.jpg

Photo0009.jpg

R

rogue-one

looking real good so far greg. what did u use for the grass?

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Taking shape nicely Greg.

Nice proportions to the layout...How did the cleaning of the seams on the figures go, by the way?

Ron

N

noble

Greg this is taking shape nicely good job so far and the grass does look good.

scott

G

Greg147

Thanks for the comments guys.

Bobby, the grass is hanging-basket liner, cut up and stuck down using diluted Tamiya dark earth texture paint. I think it's probably better suited to larger scales, but hopefully it will look nice and natural when I add more foliage.

Ron, I've only removed the seams on the horses so far, and I see what you mean about the plastic being soft. More than once I've taken a chip out of the saddles by mistake (fortunately, they'll be covered by the riders) ;)

G

Greg147

Time for an update, I feel.

I've put the road in (although it needs some touching up at the edges), and have laid down the rail track. I'm working on some bars for the top of the bridge, and have started placing some of the foliage. Shouldn't be too long til I start working on the figures ;)

PS, sorry for the bad picture quality. I'm having to use a phone, which doesn't come with a flash.

View attachment 30739

Photo0013.jpg

F

Fenlander

That is looking very nice Greg. Great idea for the story line and very brave to tackle this in 1:72, hats off to you.

B

Bunkerbarge

Having worked a lot in 1/72nd in my earlier years and always believing you got far more on your base for your money, I'm now more of a 1/35th fan. I have the greatest admiration though for anyone taking on a diorama in this scale as I simply wouldn't have the patience to work in 1/72nd for long enough to get this together.

Lovely looking base, the grass really does work well and the rail track looks that bit more original than another road.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice composition Gregg. Don't forget to post another picture so we can see the bridge properly, it looks really good.

As Richard points out, it's nice to see a section of railway track being incorporated into the diorama...

Ron

G

Greg147

Thanks for the comments guys, I've managed to get my hands on a decent camera, so attached are some new pics. I've worked on the foliage a bit more, so now most of it is where it should be. I've also added some paint to the railings, which will be dirtied up a bit as to not stick out so much.

The railway has actually been pretty difficult to impliment. As you can see in my earlier pics, I made the mistake of coating the top of the bridge in the same paste as the sides, and so it was no longer even. On top of that, I had to work out a way of getting the rock-scatter to stick firmly in place under and around the track, without covering it, or having half of it fall off every time I move it. It's not perfect, but I think it will do for now. I have no idea how rail-modellers do it ;)

View attachment 30753

View attachment 30754

View attachment 30755

View attachment 30756

View attachment 30757

View attachment 30758

DSCF0766.jpg

DSCF0769.jpg

DSCF0764.jpg

DSCF0765.jpg

DSCF0770.jpg

DSCF0771.jpg

I

It'sAllGoneHorriblyWrong

Coming along really nicely - can't wait to see some figures go on.

Andy

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Very nice Gregg.

Only a small detail, but I do like the 'Hit and miss' of the track ballast where it is over the sleepers here and there. This is what makes dioramas come alive and natural looking.

When this sort of thing happens to me I call them a happy accident, in as much as you don't plan the outcome but like the result!

Excellent work.

Ron