1/72 Revell Hurricane & Airfix Gaxelle

1275GT

Just a couple of pics of what I've been up to over Xmas, actually got some model-making done !!!

View attachment 55841View attachment 55842View attachment 55843View attachment 55844View attachment 55845View attachment 55846View attachment 55847View attachment 55848View attachment 55849View attachment 55850View attachment 55851View attachment 55852View attachment 55853.

Made these as presents for a pair of brothers I look after ( before you panic, I'm a childminder, I'm allowed to !! ), hence the "Harry's Hurricane".

The Gazelle is straight out of the box, with a bit addded to the interior ( not that you can see much ), the Hurricane has had a bit done to it - just filled the interior with an Airfix pilot ( the poor Revell man looked like a Dr Who reject...), boxed in the radiator and made the landing / navigation lights. It was my first attempt at these and I'm quite happy with the results.

Happy modelling, cheers Neil

View attachment 57980

View attachment 57981

View attachment 57982

View attachment 57983

View attachment 57984

View attachment 57985

View attachment 57986

View attachment 57987

View attachment 57988

View attachment 57989

View attachment 57990

View attachment 57991

View attachment 57992

DSC07734.jpg

DSC07735.jpg

DSC07736.jpg

DSC07738.jpg

DSC07739.jpg

DSC07740.jpg

DSC07741.jpg

DSC07742.jpg

DSC07743.jpg

DSC07744.jpg

DSC07745.jpg

DSC07746.jpg

DSC07747.jpg

M

mobear

really really good paint jobs on these,i`m very impressed too,hope the kids like them lol

mobear

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's great work Neil, I bet Harry and his brother will be well pleased with them.

Tony.

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Nice work Neil, the kids will be stoked with those.

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Great job neil , the kids are going to love those! The bases are a nice touch too , the heli one is very realistic , top work, cheers tony

1275GT

Thanks for the comments :smiling3: I can't take any credit for the bases, as they were lifted off the internet - I didn't even have to re-size the helipad !!! They are just bits of paper stuck to a square of MDF.

They are ok from a couple of feet away, just don't get too close ! I used the humbrol paints with the Gazelle and it's a bit thick. They didn't like being thinned and I ended up using them neat. But no, they haven't turned out too bad. It's a pity the glazing isn't better on the Gazelle, theres scope to do a really nice interior. I wouldn't even bother trying with the Hurricane - there's a reason it's cheap !!!!

Cheers, Neil

First Name
Drew
Very nice Neil. I have the Gazelle in my "to do" pile and was surprised by how small it is, I recently finished a 2 seater attack heli (RAH-66 Comanche) and I thought the Gazelle would be quite a bit bigger but I'm pretty sure it's smaller!

Anyway, your builds look great, I'm sure the kids will be well chuffed with them.

1275GT

Yeah, it does come up quite small !! There is some scope for detailing the interior, but to be honest, not too much is going to be seen, especially through the side glazing. It's a pity that there isn't a practical way of opening the doors up - well, there may be, but I suspect it's beyond me at the moment !!! It's an old kit, so it needs a bit of persuasion here and there. If I were doing one again, I'd do a bit more work to the intake and see if I could make the rotor head a bit more accurate, and maybe have a crack at that section between the intake and engine (?).

Having said that, it ends up pretty much looking like a Gazelle, so it's not too bad !!

Cheers, Neil

T

T. van Vuuren

Well done with the builds Neil!

I am happy to see you have put the Gazelle's rotors the way they are supose to be during startup. If one blade it directly over the turbine's outlet the rising heat could damage it, hence they are the way you depict them so that it passes through the heat rather quickly once the clutch is engaged.

Where I painted an RV 7 a few months ago there were two Gazelles and for the first day the startups were cool, but after the 20th or so time it became "old" LOL!

Theuns

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Nice job. I'm starting to develop a 'thing' for helicopters !

1275GT

Theuns, I wish I could say I'd positioned the rotors that way on purpose, but I can't !! Pure luck, I'm afraid.

I'm not sure I'm sold on the "chopper" thing, tbh. I think I've got it into my head that they take up too much room for what they are, unless you're able to fold the rotors, which to me looks a bit wrong unless it's in some sort of diorama.........but maybe I think too much !!!

A way out might be to do something 2-bladed ( Huey or Cobra-ish ), or just buy a bigger house and be done with ....:surrender:

Cheers, Neil

T

T. van Vuuren

Neil, once you have flown in the front seat of a helo you will understand what "special" things they are :smiling:

There is nothing like the transition between forward flight and hover, it is just so cool.

Theuns

1275GT

Sorry, Theuns, I speaking only in terms of model making!! I haven't flown myself, but have seen enough to know what amazing craft they can be.

Cheers, Neil