1/72 Revell VIIC U-boat

D

duncankane

Hello I am 15 and with Crimbo come and gone I had found myself with a generous amount of cash, with the recent viewing of "Das boot" and playing Silent Hunter 5 It hit me that I should see if I could purchase a model of my favorite type of U-boat ..the VIIC after a quick search on ebay I quickly found the Revell 1/72 kit "http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/kits/rm/images/rg_5015_title.jpg" and boy I was impressed with the size and detail so i bought it and should arrive any day NOW. With this I purchased one airbrush kit "http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Professional-Airbrush-Kit-Ideal-For-Airfix-Models-Nail-Art-Crafts-Hobby-Paint-/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/$(KGrHqJHJC!E8fh-MFU9BPKUvYOVGQ~~60_12.JPG" as shown here, some Tamiya masking tape some precision HumbrolT poly cement. extra strong super glue just in case something bad happens and 12 new paint brushes. The airbrush does not come with a compressor and I am going to get the Neptune mini compressor for it and just to be safe will this be suitable for the brush? .I am not a "noob" for modeling I ahve built the Academy 1/400 Titanic, Revell's 1/570 Queen Mary 1,Airfix 1/72 Lancaster, Polar lights 1/350 USS Enterprise refit and numerous amounts of small 1/72 fighter planes mostly ww2. I also come here to ask for any tips you are willing to share with this kit and with airbrushing as I have never airbrushed before I only bought it for the effect of the u-boats hull to look good with weathering and shading etc.

Thanks for your time - Dunx

Last edited:
B

beav1013

hi duncan. if you're looking for some tips on painting and weathering a sub, give these videos a watch:

Revell Submarine VII C "Wolf Pack" Tutorial 1/2 - ep14 - YouTube

Revell Submarine VII C "Wolf Pack" Tutorial 2/2 - ep14 - YouTube

there's a bunch of videos on modelling here: S. L.'s Gunpla Blog: Gunpla/Plamo Tutorial Videos

you can pick up airbrushing tips, and other modelling tips in general, if you're a visual learner (because all of the videos are in japanese...). good luck!

D

duncankane

Ah yes I have watched this and this is when I decided to pick up an airbrush when I realized brushes just aint gonna cut it for such a beautiful model ..although they did for my Titanic..which is large

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
im building one at the moment it will be good to see both when completed and by the way you love building this kit shes a beauty and very detailed armaments.

good luck

D

duncankane

There it is and wow not panted yet as my compressor has not arrived but it is beautiful and very big :D BIGGER THAN MY 1/400 Queen Mary 2 or both my 1/400 Titanic and 1/570 Queen Mary 1 put together At least I have my 1/180 Victory to finish while I wait for the damn compressor. I also like the crew members they give with the set. It's U-552 early

Alan 45

Plastic Abuser
First Name
Alan
I got confused with the types whjle building mine so I just did what I wanted to so its probably not a specific type I'll just stick the U 69 decals on it.

if you check out the under construction section you'll see how im doing with mine.

mossiepilot

A learner learning
SMF Supporter
First Name
Tony
That's a big boat Duncan. It'll look the bees knees when it's painted.

Tony.

D

duncankane

Sprayed it with the light grey for conn tower and upper hull, and painted the dark grey anti-foul paint ...No weathering yet as my compressor still has not arrived, oh and yes Biggest model I have maybe apart from my Refit Enterprise

L

lthump

Hi Duncan , oh to be young again. The spray gun was a great purchase. You will find it far better to paint with than brushes.The paint job is so smooth. Easily better than a brush on large areas. You can do a lot with them but you need to learn how to use it and clean it properly and that doesn't just come quickly. Read and watch videos- a lot. Most of all ....... have fun.
PS> I forgot did you know about all the internal kits made to go with this u boat... CKM is who makes them.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
Hi Duncan , oh to be young again. The spray gun was a great purchase. You will find it far better to paint with than brushes.The paint job is so smooth. Easily better than a brush on large areas. You can do a lot with them but you need to learn how to use it and clean it properly and that doesn't just come quickly. Read and watch videos- a lot. Most of all ....... have fun.
PS> I forgot did you know about all the internal kits made to go with this u boat... CKM is who makes them.
Hello tony and welcome to the forum. The thread you replied to is nearly 5 years old, so you almost certainly won't get any sort of response, well except me !

L

lthump

Hello tony and welcome to the forum. The thread you replied to is nearly 5 years old, so you almost certainly won't get any sort of response, well except me !
LOL- I didn't look at the dates, Thanks Colin. I am in here looking for 1/72 builds of the revell 7c kit. I am building one with all the addons -including rooms. I was hoping to find hints and help on construction of the added rooms particularly as it seems the external is well covered. I am starting with the torpedo room. Damn floor is brittle and unsupported , what a headache

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
LOL- I didn't look at the dates, Thanks Colin. I am in here looking for 1/72 builds of the revell 7c kit. I am building one with all the addons -including rooms. I was hoping to find hints and help on construction of the added rooms particularly as it seems the external is well covered. I am starting with the torpedo room. Damn floor is brittle and unsupported , what a headache

Whilst I can't help with the sub build, it would be great to see one done. It's not something that appears on the forum that often.

L

lthump

I'll think about that . You can get a lot of support that way , but also shot down. I have done it before with the Endeavour I have half built and it was fun. I have never knocked anyone else's effort and I have seen some shockers.but there's always one.

colin m

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Colin
I'll think about that . You can get a lot of support that way , but also shot down. I have done it before with the Endeavour I have half built and it was fun. I have never knocked anyone else's effort and I have seen some shockers.but there's always one.
That sort of thing is most unlikely on this forum. In fact, I've never seen it happen here.