1/72 Royal Navy collection cont'd - "The Three V's"

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Chris,
Some really nice looking builds.

Thank you Paul!

That's a great collection you have created there. Very nice. The Vixen is a favourite.

I'm glad you like it Colin!

Excellent trio. PaulE

Cheers Paul!

What I always liked about the vixen was it’s function over form build ethos.
T

Yeah, it's a wierd, kind of 'non conformist' approach to a plane design for sure. It's crew arrangement is weird with the offset canopy, The odd boom / wing interface and it looks to sit way too low to get any angle of attack for take off, but it's still a wonderful looking thing.

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Nice looking threesome Chris. The Venom does have a bulbous nose and Vixen odd and heavy but with a nice profile. I've always thought the Vampire had its tail boom kinked upward due to the many landings but it's a cute plane having served at Butterworth in the fifties.

Cheers,
Richard

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Thanks Richard. It was the uniqueness of these three but also the obvious evolutionary design steps that made me want to build them as a trio. They're just so odd looking by the 'normal' standards, whatever 'normal' is!

You worked on the Vampire? The last time I was at Tangmere the engineers were working on one and they let me see the stripped out timber fuselage. They remarked that it was built more like a boat than a plane!

rtfoe

SMF Supporter
First Name
Richard
Thanks Richard. It was the uniqueness of these three but also the obvious evolutionary design steps that made me want to build them as a trio. They're just so odd looking by the 'normal' standards, whatever 'normal' is!

You worked on the Vampire? The last time I was at Tangmere the engineers were working on one and they let me see the stripped out timber fuselage. They remarked that it was built more like a boat than a plane!
Nope seen pictures and videos of it starting up with plumes of smoke.

Cheers,
Richard

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
Nope seen pictures and videos of it starting up with plumes of smoke.

Cheers,
Richard

Ah yes, the starting cartridges!
I wouldn’t even know where to start modeling that!

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
Ooh thought there was fire !
Great photo .

flyjoe180

Joe
SMF Supporter
First Name
Joe
Excellent trio there Chris, all nicely finished and presented. Note sure they could've put any more 'No Step' red crosses on the Sea Vixen...

That last photo is of RNZAF Venoms operating in support of the Malayan Emergency. Note the asbestos blanket over the tail plane to protect the wooden structure from start flame/heat.

Archetype

FAA plane builder
First Name
Chris
:smiling5: :smiling5: Right!? Makes you wonder where you can step!

Good spot on the blanket!