1/72 Sabre F-86F Academy

First Name
Michael
Built this kit as a kind of practice with Alclad paints as I've not used them before and have a couple of kits in my stash which want this type of paint job.

Really enjoyed putting it together and painting it, found the alcad easy to use, I primed as normal the undercoated with black gloss before the polished aluminium top coat.

I liked the Academy kit, it went together well and was a bargain. There is a version in 1/48 which I quite fancy, 1/48 is what I normally build but i'm finding the small scale really enjoyable, so much so that I've got a 1/100 Mig in the pile.

View attachment 48974

View attachment 48975

View attachment 48976

View attachment 48977

View attachment 48978

saber 010.jpg

saber 013.jpg

saber 015.jpg

saber 014.jpg

saber 016.jpg

stona

SMF Supporter
First Name
Steve
Nice one Michael,that looks very clean and tidy. A natural metal finish needs a good build as it will show up any flaws.

I'm with you on Alclad too,I find it very easy to use and iit also gives a good,scale,metal finish.

Cheers

Steve

T

TonyBv9

Looks nice. Lovely finish.

I wish my one had turned out like that. The kit itself went together really well, but I only had aerosol paint and it was a disaster. I'll certainly try it again in the future.

First Name
Chris
Beautiful looking sabre there Michael, I've looking at getting the Academy 1/48 to try my hand at the Alclad treatment, I just hope I get a finish half as good as yours.

Cheers

Chris

yak face

Wossupwidee?
Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
tony
Fantastic job michael , the metal finish is perfect. This looks like a great little kit, i might have to look out for one , (and heres me trying to get the stash down a bit , DOH!!!) cheers tony

First Name
Sebastijan aka Seb
Nice work on the Sabre. I see some flaws in the metal finish which I assume are the result of too liberal aplication of Alclad. Catch is that you should apply Alclad in very thin coats and slowly and gradually build up the paint until you reach the desired level. Oh and you've glued the front landing gear door on the wrong side. ;)

Anyway very good first try with Alclad. I'm sure your next ones will be even better! :beer2:

papa 695

Staff member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ian
Looks very good to me Michael great job on the Alclad iv'e still got to find the courage to use it