Top job on the ropes and fenders. They look spot on :thumb2:
Jim

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Steve, thanks very much.
I must try that nylon thread.
I should also point out to anyone intending to try it that my superglue technique left the thread very glossy, so I had to paint it with a matt lacquer anyway. I may as well have just painted it it in the first place.

spanner570

SALAD DODGER
SMF Supporter
First Name
Ron
Hi Neil.
Missed this, sorry! Looking excellent.
Probably too late now, but regarding your seascape I just use any sort of powdered cement mixed with water to get some bumps in the sea. Some cheap 'In the tube' poundshop acrylics to paint it with and clear silicone for waves.
As you will already know there are loads of ways to model water, I just find the above works well for me.

Perhaps have a look in 'Ships and Boats' on here at the various ways the lads go about making seascapes etc.

Just keep it simple and have a practice - I do...... :thumb2:

Whatever floats your boat really........ Coat on and waiting for the bus!

Ron

JR

Member of the Rabble and Pyromania Consultant
SMF Supporter
First Name
John
looking good Neil.
Glad it worked !
John.

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
[QUOTE
looking good Neil.
Glad it worked !
John.

][/QUOTE]

Thanks John

Ron
thanks for dropping in! I had hoped to catch your attention, being the apparent watermeister here!
I'm a bit nervous of polyfilla etc as I don't have a water supply in the loft (apart from the tank, but let's not get into hair-splitting).
I've had the experiments scheduled for a couple of evenings this week, and been prevented for one reason or another-Grrrr! It will have to wait until the weekend, now.
I take your point about practice - I have been sweating on how to avoid damaging the boat if I screw up, but I've just had a brainwave.
There's no point in having 3D printers at work if you don't use them for personal projects once in a while:thumb2::smirk:, so I'm currently printing a dummy LCVP hull which I found on T'internet
3D Print.jpg
(it's not a very good model so don't get drooling, anyone)
and I will make my first attempts with that at the weekend .
Fingers crossed
N

stillp

SMF Supporter
First Name
Pete
Could you just wrap your boat in cling film to stop the plaster/filler from sticking to it?

Pete

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Morning all!

Whilst I have been mucking about with experimental water techniques ( and probably re-inventing the wheel in the process) I finished the painting of the figures . I wish we had had washes when I was painting these in my teens. My current wash of choice is Citadel Agrax Earthshade.

I’m only slightly interested in fantasy stuff but my son got into Warhammer 10 years ago and I picked up a few tips(and made a couple of bits and pieces for him)

Anyway, I thought I would give the boys a quick ’fifteen minutes of fame‘ before they become more or less blurred into a texture, once they are in place in the LCVP.

IMG_20190130_204236205.jpg

They have all had 2 coats of matt lacquer but they are still a bit too shiny for my taste.

I used Vallejo thinned with water as per the instructions, but as I say it’s not matt enough for me. What do other people use?

That’s all for now, thanks for looking in.

Neil

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I use Testors Dullcote straight out of the bottle by brush. Test it out first, as it looks too thick when you first apply it, but it thins as it dries. PaulE

Steve Jones

Steve Jones Scale Modelling Site
First Name
Steve
Great work on the figures Neil. I take it they all fit in the boat? :smiling2::smiling5:

Looking forward to seeing the next update

Neil Merryweather

SMF Supporter
First Name
Neil
Morning all, it's been a while ,sorry about that, but I wanted to be able to report real progress, rather than record all the faffing around, false starts and blind alleys I have been up to, trying to make some convincing water.

I searched this forum, I watched a couple of videos, I checked with my Stan Catchpol model making bible, I studied the specs and reviews of various expensive scenic water products. I did a few experiments of my own with clear silicone, clear pva, Liquitex, -all stuff I had to hand.

All of the above fell short in one way or another so I was a bit miserable, until I was in the local hardware shop and I found this.

I made a little test and it dried perfectly clear, so it seemed to be the ONE!

I wanted to show the Higgins boat at a quite extreme angle with a great big splash at the bow where it ploughs into a wave, which means I needed a bit more of a sculpted base rather than just a flat board.

I have no water supply in my loft, so I avoided Polyfilla and plaster because I wanted to keep things dry…(ironically). I had a go with Das, but I didn’t like that because it shrunk. So, to sculpt my choppy, D-Day English Channel I decided on plasticine. In my experiment version I covered the plasticine with ready-mixed Polyfilla, but I left it off on the final version because it seemed unnecessary. As it turned out it might have helped if I had tried a bit harder with it, so I must remember that for next time (if there is one).
I wrapped the boat in clingfilm to avoid damaging the paint.

I packed the boat up at the stern on a piece of foam to make my plasticine go further because I only had one pack, and this is all of it. Still, it’s not expensive at all.

I then coated it with PVA, and here I learned another lesson. In my test piece I used up the last of my old wood glue, which was very thick and gloopy, and worked fine. For the final piece I got some cheap kids’ PVA which was thinner and flowed more easily. Trouble was it didn’t stick very well to the plasticine and dried a bit too flexible, which created a few bubbles or blisters and gave me headaches later on.

I remember, back in the days of Airfix Magazine, spending a lot of my pocket money on a tin of Unibond as recommended by Roy Dilley (his articles introduced me to the concept of converting figures) and clearly it’s worth paying that bit extra for quality.

As I said, in my test piece I then covered the PVA with ready-mixed Polyfilla, sanded it down because it was too gritty, painted it with gesso (2 coats) and then primed it with Halfords grey primer. This worked well, but it felt like rather a few too many stages.

Gesso is basically a thick paint, probably the original primer. It’s a very traditional product, I have no idea what it’s made of, all I know is that it was used by the old masters and sculptors way back to renaissance times.
In the final piece I went straight from PVA to gesso and I had a real fright!

I must try and remember this for the next time I need a cracked white surface over a dark background-but then of course it probably won't behave like this!
Fortunately a second coat sorted it out, but the blisters were still evident, which indicated that it was not a very tough shell. I was tempted to strip it off and try again, but I just want it finished now, so I steamrollered ahead and went straight to paint.
In my test piece I felt the colour was too pale, so I was able to rectify that mistake. One of the things I did learn from my research is to paint not only the colour variations but the white for the wake as well.

You can clearly see the blister on the bottom right corner, which I decided to ignore in the end, in the hope that the silicone/glue would obliterate it.

So now there was nothing left but just to go for it with the ClearFix.

I tried various methods of applying it and texturing it in my test piece and I thought I knew what I was doing, but when it came to the real thing I still made a mess of it. I had tested various liquids and chemicals for a way of preventing the ‘cake icing’ peaking that I dislike. I found that acetone and water both worked quite well, so I went with water, applied with a cotton bud. I preferred that to a brush as they are expendable. What I didn’t spot, until it was too late, was that the water leaves the surface slightly matt, whereas the acetone leaves it glossy (a bit more like, um, water….DOH!).

I also found it difficult to blend the beads from the solvent gun nozzle, with the result that all the wavelets are about 6mm wide…fortunately I instinctively applied them in the direction of the waves, rather than some random pattern. So I guess the Clearfix wasn’t the miracle solution, but it certainly is clear, which my ‘clear’ silicone was not.

But I’m not stripping it off and doing it again because that would amount to doing it a third time, and I’m approaching the choked-off phase. So, the matt(ish) stays.

Maybe I can lacquer it a bit, but we’ll see.

Once I had got the main part done I went around with a syringe, filling the gap between the water and the hull, adding bits here and there to make more of the wake, the bow wave and the wave tops.

For the big bow splash I added spikes of clear plastic packaging which I then built up in stages with the ClearFix, with a piece of plastic in between to mask the boat itself.

The final touches to the water will be to paint the foam with white acrylic, which will be the next installment.
Thanks for looking, I think it’s time to sit back and draw breath…….
cheers
Neil

Jim R

SMF Supporter
First Name
Jim
Hi Neil
A most interesting update. I'll bet the hours just flew by with all the experiments :tongue-out3: End results look good and the bow splashes have worked a treat. The way you did that is one to remember :thumb2:
Jim

minitnkr

Rabble & escape committee member
SMF Supporter
First Name
Paul
I work w/Pasticine also. Its' never let me down. Seems to last forever too. Great progress. PaulE